Ringing trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdboy9

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone else ring their trees that they plan to cut for future firewood? I have been doing this now for 5 years and I must say it works great. It seems to take about 3-5 years for the tree to die off then dry out. Maybe I didn't go deep enough with the rings because some seemed to go faster than others but I'm still new at this :greenchainsaw: The advantage to it is that I can cut them down split them and stack and cover and they are ready to go really don't need much drying time if any.

The only bad thing to it is cutting them down there are a lot of branches that can break off and impale you. After just getting smashed by a tree as I posted in the other forum I'm thinking twice about this practice now.....

tree killer tom trees:deadhorse:

:laugh: TomTrees you are a man of so very few words. :yourock:

Ringing trees has been around a while. It is effective at slowly depleting the plant of nutrients. Thus killing an otherwise healthy tree.

If you are having limbs fall out on you It might seem they are just trying to get back at you. Standing live timber is dangerous, standing dead is worse.

After going through a few close calls of my own I advise against this practice for firewood.

Last edited:
Not my thing either, a few years for the bugs to move in, dry[er] harder wood to saw up. And, you know how things happen, a few years you could be gone & someone else has to deal with it. I'd just as soon do 'em fresh.

Not my thing either, a few years for the bugs to move in, dry[er] harder wood to saw up. And, you know how things happen, a few years you could be gone & someone else has to deal with it. I'd just as soon do 'em fresh.
Speaking of hard wood, Have you ever tried to cut a hickory that's been dead 2 or 3 years. Like trying to cut steel, Sparks will fly from your saw and you can't keep the chain sharp. A whole lot easier to cut it green and let it dry.

Speaking of hard wood, Have you ever tried to cut a hickory that's been dead 2 or 3 years. Like trying to cut steel, Sparks will fly from your saw and you can't keep the chain sharp. A whole lot easier to cut it green and let it dry.

Consider yourself lucky to have access to hickory. We're just a little too far north for hickory to thrive. It'll grow but is easily outcompeted.

We're luckier than folks just 100 miles to the north byyond the White Mountains where even red oak doesn't grow too well. Some folks I know near the Canadian border use red maple as their prize btu dead of winter stuff, with birch and poplar being the supplementals.

The only reason I do this is because I throw the wood in the garage for the winter so I really hate moving it more than I need to, so cutting fairy dry stuff and throwing it in the garage works pretty good for me. For the rest of the year it serves me as a garage and not a woodshed. I guess I should just stop complaining and get a little more exercise :) I guess I could build a woodshed for the wood wouldn't that be a swell idea.

You know I never really thought much about the chain life that is a good reason not to. Well I think I will stop doing that enough of you have made me change my mind.

The main reason was like others have said and I about cutting and having stuff fall on you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back