Ripsaw Support

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishstix

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
image.jpg I just purchased a Ripsaw used at auction and was unable to get ahold of the company for support. I see from other threads that the company may not be supporting them any longer. Also, if any of you have experience with them, does the saw head connector shown in the picture connect direct to the saw, or do I need a flange of some sort between the saw head and this gear mount? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
This site had some good info on where to get the 7 spur sprocket adaptor for Stihl saws. One thing that still puzzles me though is the bolt spacing on the cast mounting head pictured above. It has 1 9/16" OC spacing between bolts and 2 3/4" spacing between the right bolt hole center and the center of the pin sprocket. This is wider spacing than the bolt/sprocket pattern on my Stihl 026. I also fit it up next to a newer 440 and it was wider than the 440 as well. The web site only indicated the need for a spur sprocket to replace the rim sprocket, nothing to indicate why Stihl mounts wouldn't line up with the Ripsaw mounts. the guy I bought the Ripsaw from said he had an 088 mounted to it (sounds like overkill, he may have been mistaken). Do 088's have different mountings than the smaller Stihls? Any insights appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a couple links for you.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/used-ripsaw-powerhead-question.110035/
http://www.ripsaw.com/manuals/ripsawmanual.pdf
A 088 is a larger mount than the Stihl 026 one is called 3002 the other is 3003 not for certain on correct numbering.
I have a rip saw with a 044 on it never had it off, I bought it together. That ripsaw looks a little larger and few things different than mine. I wonder if it is an older model or what they call xl4 mill. It does look like the website is not active did you try calling them? I hope you can still get parts. What did you pay for it?

Interesting Tug. I'm pretty sure it is not a mount off the xl4. I found some pics of them and the oil feed etc. is all different. Looking at the leads you just gave, and what the previous owner told me, I'm thinking Ripsaw may have made a run of castings for 3002 mounts, even though the site says they only recommend up to 066 Stihls and the 3002 mount is for the 088's and 881's. Dang, I don't really want to buy a 088 to power this thing. any Ripsaws out there that are otherwise headed for the recycle bin that might be interested in selling a standard Stihl mount off of it? From earlier posts, it looks like brand new mounts are cost prohibitive if you can even get them.

How much did I pay for it? Let's just say I paid more than I should have in proportion to my due diligence research before I bought it, but the family won't go hungry if it doesn't pan out.

I'm happy to report that I was able to get a hold of Chris at Ripsaw. Unfortunately, they are scrambling to recover from the theft of $300,000 in parts and templates but are still in business and offering support as best they can under the present circumstances. Chris was very helpful and is walking me through my questions. The Ripsaw web site is outdated in its contact info., so I wound up getting through to them via the web site for their sister product line, Tuff Bilt.

Yes, the Stihls do have to replace the stock rim sprockets with a 7 pin spur sprocket, but they are common spur sprockets that you can get from Baileys for under $20

I'd see if you can get the spur to match up with one of the bar bolts. You might be able to make a customized adapter for the other stud. But really I think you need a 088 :clap:

Ripsaw has the correct mounting blocks to hook up to 036 through 044 models for about $65, so that sounds like a good investment....but if you happen to know of a good 088 for around $65, I'd be happy to go that route

If you would not mind would you PM me or post their contact info here. They also at one time had a mount that was for a Milwaukee electric drill or grinder, I cannot remember. I will have to post a picture of mine, yours is definitely different than mine.

Back