River Birch Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mako

Reaction score
I am looking for some help with my River Birches. Here is the quick story. I have 5 River Birches in total. 3 of them were planted 3.5 years ago in 10/2010, 2 of them were planted October 2013. The older birches had been doing great until this spring, when I noticed that there were developing very few leaves and those that were coming in were in top half or on the of very top branches, leaving the bottom branches bare. The 2 younger birches are doing awesome and have practically doubled in size this spring. There are growing along the property line where 2 properties drain into, so I believe that they are getting plenty of water. Some of the lower branches are dead on the older trees, but for the most part they are alive and a darker green when I scratch the bark off.

I am in the Chicagoland are and we had a brutal winter. Snow from the first week of December (that’s early) to the beginning of March (that’s normal). Temperatures were extremely brutal, in that it went down to -10 to -20 for multiple days 3 or 4 times, so winter burn could be a factor. But, I would think that the younger trees would be affected more than the older established trees.

I have not done any fertilizing of the older trees, ever. I didn’t need to because they have been doing great. I had a local landscaping guy tell me to do a deep root feeding using Ironite and a Bio-Tone 50%-50% mix.

I have attached some pictures for reference. I appreciate any feedback/advice that I can get.

Thanks.
River_Birches1.jpg River_Birches3.jpg

Attachments

• River_Birches2.jpg
    River_Birches2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 6
Need close ups of the leafless live twigs, sawfly can strip a tree, sometimes the mid-rib will remain. Any new buds emerging? After ruling out leaf feeders, next is post a good close up pic of the root flare. If your trees where not untied, left in the burlap, planted too deep or have girdling roots the symptoms would start to manifest about now. Any broad-leaf week killer used on lawn? Birches are very sensitive.

Raintree:
I do use a service from Trugreen, not sure if they use a broad leaf killer, last year was the first year I used them. One of the older birches had a good amount of new buds on the upper half of the tree, and then about half of those leaves just up and died in the last 2 weeks. Trugreen did just make a visit about 2 weeks ago.

I've attached the pictures that you wanted to see.

Zale: I'm agreeing with you on the cold weather, but then why are new trees that I just planted in October not affected by the cold?

Thanks for you help.

River_Birches4.jpg River_Birches5.jpg River_Birches6.jpg

You really should get a Pro out to look at those trees. From the pics I can rule out leaf feeding insects. The small scorched yellow leaves & the continuing die back is very concerning. It may be chemical damage, I would first want to look at planting depth, proper soil moisture & PH. Also for twine, burlap & wire baskets not removed during installation. If all those check out I'd be very unhappy with my lawn care service. Did Trugreen spray the trees?

Well, on the plus side, your turf looks great. I would find out the specific chemical they applied and go from there. Why some trees survived the winter and other crapped out can be puzzling. More than likely the trees were stressed before the winter and the cold temps. pushed them over the edge. Mother Nature, got to love her.

Trugreen and herbicide specific to kill broadleaf weeds (i.e. trees)

Can you post a pic of the first roots coming off the stems?

Latest posts

Back