RM and RS chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonwheeler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is there much difference in these chains? My 361 has an RS on it and I just wondered if there was a better 'all around' profile between the two.

Chaser

RM from what I recall is semi chisel, RS is round chisel. if you want any faster than that, get the square chisel stuff. I have a loop of oregon 72CK, and that stuff is FAST.

The RM is slower but holds an edge better in gritty conditions...but in cutting firewood I rarely find a need for semi chisel. The round chisel is probably teh best all around profile...has better stay sharp than square chisel, although not as fast, but still plenty fast. Worst thing you could do is get that consumer grad RM2 it will really slow you down. Semi chisel is also a bit easier to file, but round chisel is easy too. It's teh square stuff that could be hard to file.

Chaser
Your 361 is just begging for a loop of "RSK"
As a friendly challange pick up a loop and get a double bevel file and go to town. To me, its very hard to get it perfict by hand filing, (oh ok, even close to perfict) but well worth it on the speed of the cut!

Lawn Masters
If I may, how dose the oregon compair to the stihl chain? ,,,, I'll start a tread

On 15" bar I use RM and on 18" bar RS chain. On small diameter wood RM is sufficent and has by feeling a somewhat smaller kickback activity than RS cain. ;)

ShoerFast said:
Lawn Masters
If I may, how dose the oregon compair to the stihl chain? ,,,, I'll start a tread
I actually isnt too bad, given the oregon isnt as hard as Stihl chain, but if you keep both out of the dirt, and sharp, they hold an edge quite well.

Latest posts

Back