Ronin lift or GRCS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDTS447

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Trying to decide between a ronin lift or a grcs. Looking for opinions on the order.
I do a fair amount of climbing on large poplars and oaks here on the east coast but could definitely use the grcs to lift large, over-extended limbs frequently.
Anyone have a ronin and find they don't use it as often as they'd thought they would? I expect to use either about a often as the other.

GRCS. With a ropewalker setup the Ronin isn't that life changing.

Ascending a tree is relatively easy in the grand scope of the entire job.

I have both devices. Apples and Oranges. Ronin is fantastic if you are on a job where many long climbs are required (eg removing a single branch / dead wood). If it is a straight up and down, with no need to detach the ronin (which is a pain) then it’s a great choice and we use it lots. For takedowns or extensive pruning, better just do a rope walk.

If I had neither, I would start with a GCRS and then purchase a ronin - (with two batteries).

But my best bit of advice would be to buy a really powerful battery drill for the GCRS... That opens up lots of possibilities!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great advice. I've had several jobs recently where I kept thinking of how nice it'd be to have a ronin (lots of long climbs for clearing epicormic growth in raised canopies and single limb removals). My fear is I'll buy it for the next two jobs I have lined up (more of the above) and it'll wind up just taking up valuable box space on the chip truck.
Think I'm going to just go with the grcs as I know I'll definitely get value from it on most jobs. Thank you all for your input!

Grcs has been an invaluable tool. It took a while to slowly integrate into daily/weekly use, but well worth the learning curve.

Can’t speak for the ronin, but I have a wraptor, and if I climbed everyday I wouldn’t wanna be without that either.

Latest posts

Back