Root ball release looks straightforward - why so jumpy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ijpom

Dude, where's my saw?
Reaction score
Seems like the tree is fully down, the trunk end will want to lift, and the root ball will want to fall away, back into it's hole.

Or am I missing something?

If you saw the top of the cut opening I would not have undercut at the last to avoid pinch and kick back. Also I would have started the first cut (Like you did) but only about half way or so. THEN went to the off side (As You did) and cut all the way. Then return to the side you started on to finish your first cut and watch the top of the cut/kerf to see if it is opening or closing. if it is opening finish the cut if it is closing then cut from the bottom to finish. Note that if the cut is pinching the root ball might want to roll on you. My reasoning for this is your saw has the dawgs on the right hand side so when finishing you are further from the root ball and also I am blind in the left eye so I get a better view of the risky stuff.

I have heard of trees righting themselves after going over like that. Never seen it but have learnt from experience that once you start working with forces of that magnitude timber stops behaving how you might think. I’m sure I would have jumped over the trunk like that but would agree your putting your life on the line. Alls well that ends well.

Latest posts

Back