Root pruning an avocado?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently bid a small avocado removal. The HO told me his recently deceased Father planted the tree from a seed. It's about 4ft from a pool.
Their worried the tree's roots will grow into the pool. I think their concern isn't warranted in this situation.
Its a small tree and has never produced fruit like most avocado grow from seeds. Because of the sentimental value of the tree, I suggested root pruning it and putting in a root barrier as an alternative to removal.
Because of the cement decking I would have to cut the roots about 2ft from the tree on the pool side. That is assuming any roots are even growing in that direction. The tree has two small trunks about 10 in. at the base. Normally I wouldn't cut any roots that close to the trunk but giving the situation I'll do it. Avocados are pretty sensitive , and I explained this to them, and said there may be signs of stress and it could lose its leaves. Will this be a death sentence for this tree? I don't want to cause them any more heart break or cost em more money. I know they don't transplant well at all if the rootball is disturb. That is where I get my worrying from. Its a small unimportant tree but its special to them. Thanks. Beastmaster

Can't tell you about the avacado but here in fla. I regularly prune roots of oak trees right up to the trunk and have never noticed any harm to the tree. You're not supposed to do that to the fla pines as it makes them a target for the pine bore. I did my own oaks over 4 years ago with no problems.
Rather than cut the tree down I would chance it and cut the roots. They're still a lot of them down there so it'll probably make it.
I also have done other species and have no complaints of dying trees.

Latest posts

Back