Root rot caused by topping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennertree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A customer recently called asking that I take a look at several maples that had been topped. These trees are located in a rental complex, and the customer would like to keep them even though they're a big mess. They were probably topped about four years ago and have significant dieback on large limbs. My first suggestion was going to be a crown restoration, removing all dieback to surviving laterals. Then I noticed the root collar & cambial region of the roots were unhealthy. I've done some studying and believe this may be armillaria root rot, but I am not positive. I will post some pics tomorrow. Is this root damage a result of topping? Can it be treated, or is removal the only alternative?

Thanks for any info!

kennertree said:
the root collar & cambial region of the roots were unhealthy. .. Is this root damage a result of topping? Can it be treated, or is removal the only alternative? !
take off any dead bark before taking pics. yes topping cn be the cause, yes it can be treated.

Got the pictures and im trying to post them but they wont upload. Can anyone tell me how to upload them? I've posted pictures before and im doing the same thing i did last time but they still wont upload. I'm clicking on the manage attatchments key and putting in the file name but it still wont finish uploading. All it does is fill up the blue progress bar at the bottom then does nothing. Am i missing something?

Is filesize tooo big?

Filesize is product of picturesize x picture quality etc.

Perhaps if you made picture smaller, or dropped quality with software it would help. Especially if somehow you got .bmp pix, try opening in MSPaint or other image manipulator, then SaveAs .jpg; perhpas shrink physical size while you are at it.

While we're waiting for pictures, I'd like to add that when you cut roots and the top dies back, you'll get bad decay because of large dead branches and more importantly, very low tree vigor.
When you top a tree, roots die and you get bad root rot problems for the same reasons.

TheTreeSpyder said:
Is filesize tooo big?

Filesize is product of picturesize x picture quality etc.

Perhaps if you made picture smaller, or dropped quality with software it would help. Especially if somehow you got .bmp pix, try opening in MSPaint or other image manipulator, then SaveAs .jpg; perhpas shrink physical size while you are at it.

Don't know if you did manage to get them into BMP (pronounced 'bimp') format, but no digital camera saves them that way by default. JPG is pretty standard, and some of the higher end models will use TIFF. If you DID manage to convert them to BMP, best to go back and get the original file, which is probably JPG. Use anything OTHER than MS Paint to change the size. MS Paint is good for little children to play with, not much else. Us MS Photo Editor if you have nothing else, or better yet, get a good FREE photo program at

www.xnview.com

or

www.irfanview.com

And NEVER NEVER NEVER BMP!!! BMP is evil! BMP is bad! BMP is ugly and huge and makes you grow hair on the palms of your hands!

Okay, seriously, BMP produces huge files of low quality. There is just NEVER any reason to use BMP for photos.

(Okay, there ARE some reasons, but you'd have to be a computer techie to know or care about them, in which case you already know that BMP is evil.)

Never BMP.

Im not too good with computers, I'll let my wife give it a try. Anyways, i tried uploading it and i waited about 10 minutes on it to upload then finally it said upload failed. I'll try opening with a different program then upload. I'll try to get up soon as i can. Thanks

I tried it again, and i cant figure out how to make it smaller. I tried attatching it to an email and send it to my other email address and it said it would take 12 minutes to upload. So then i clicked on insert a picture and just inserted the image in an email and it sent in a few seconds. I guess it resized it automatically. If someone will let me send them in an email and then they post it, that might work. If somebody is willing just pm me and let me know the address and i will send it on. thanks

To resize a picture:
Click: start, programs, accessories, paint.
This opens Microsoft Paint, a built in photo editing program.
Then click: open
Find your picture and double click on it.
To change format, click file, save as, then click the drop down window, and choose JPG, then press save.
Then click images, attributes. This will open a window that tells you the picture size. If it's over about 600, reduce it by clicking images, stretch/skew. In the 2 stretch boxes, reduce the %.

Remeber where the pictures are saved. And remember you'll now have two pictures with the same file name, except for the last part (BMP or JPG).

There are easier ways to reduce pictures, but this process is good to learn. It allows you to learn the basics of editing a photo.
While you're in paint, you can use the tools on the side to draw lines, fix flaws in the photos, all sorts of fun things. I recommend you spend at least an hour getting to know the program. As long as you saved the origanal picture, you won't wreck it by playing around. Get a nude picture of your wife and make her boobs bigger and stomach smaller. Then post it.:D

All part of same set he sent me Dr. Maas.

i like the freebie MS Powertoys; especially the image resizer. With it you can resize 10 pictures at once, without reopening them.

i didn't resize pix or anything. Perhaps being on dialup and trying to upload all at once(?) was too long and connection timed out on him?

"tree roots 4" pic shows round little bumps of black stuff around roots. If these are crunchy then they may well be the fungus Inonotus, a bad root-rotter. This plus crowm condition plus inclusion plus history all leads to the conclusion:

it is time to replace this tree. :(

Agreed,also it looks like a herbicide has been applied around and on the base of this tree.The topping probalbly ,by the looks of it removed way too much of the tree at one time and as said above messed up it's leaf to root ratio and so the tree starved quickly.

The pics are of 2 different trees. They were both topped and both of the trees have roots that look the same. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and take a look at that black stuff, see if it is crunchy or not. I dont know if you can see it in the picture, but when i was out there the roots near the base of the tree looked like they have healing wood growing. The roots could have also been damaged by a lawnmower. What is the treatment for root rot? My plan of attack on these 2 trees was to cut all the deadwood back to the live regrowth and try to get any problem branches out. Would anyone reccomend thinning out some of the branches at the cat heads or just try to keep all the foilage i can? Thanks for all the replies.

kennertree said:
What is the treatment for root rot? .
First, diagnose it. how many roots, how rotted? do some poking around, literally.

Callusing/woundwood on roots is a good sign, but there are a lot of bad signs.

You can't make a plan before you know the extent of the problems.

Back