Root rot caused by topping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeseer said:
In the picture it's the roots, not the trunk, that looks decayed to me.
Absolutely. Those critical roots in the zone of rapid taper are all damaged and all decaying rapidly.

treeseer said:
Anyway, what % in a buttress bend denotes in your mind a hazard that would call for mitigation?

Hazard is a combination of defect and target.
This defect is very high, the only picture I've seen of a worse tree, was KFTree's dead standing log with one live branch.

Mike Maas said:
critical roots in the zone of rapid taper are all damaged and all decaying rapidly. .

Once again your perception must be supernatural. Exactly how fast are they decaying? Do you know when those wounds were made? Do you know how fast the tree is growing new wood to compensate?

All that assuming will create donkeys of us. Hee Haw haw. Let's wait for kenner to measure a bit then submit the data. Judge not, lest ye be judged mental.

Just can't resist adding my two cents. I find the technical aspect of this discussion fascinating, albeit somewhat beyond me (I've been ISA cert. for only a year and am at a different learning stage right now). There is a side to this that seems a bit lacking and maybe its been discussed ad nauseum elswhere - but here it goes.

Kenner - just how much money are these customers willing to spend? Do you have room on your contract sheet for windload formulas, including a layperson's explaination of terms? What if halfway through treatment they decide to sell the house? I don't think they'd attach a restrictive covenant to the deed regarding a tree.

Can't speak about the customers in your area but around here the middle class can be a bit skeptical about treatments that go above and beyond what they consider normal. The rich customers are a whole different thread.

I'm with Mike on this one. That tree looks to be too far gone and too much of a liability.

treeseer said:
Originally Posted by Mike Maas
"critical roots in the zone of rapid taper are all damaged and all decaying rapidly. . "

Once again your perception must be supernatural. Exactly how fast are they decaying? Do you know when those wounds were made? Do you know how fast the tree is growing new wood to compensate?

This all must seem like magic to you. This is a "dead tree standing", like a death row prisoner.

To answer your questions, yes I have agood idea on all three questions.
Let me try to get you thinking by asking you a question. How long ago was it topped?

I'll try to get out to the tree today and get some measurements. If not today, i will do it next year. I have worked for this guy before. It was a few years ago, I did a removal of 2 maples that didnt survive the topping. If i were guessing, I'd say these trees were topped 4 to 5 years ago maybe longer. When i was out there then i didnt look at the trees that are in the pictures. Anyways, I'll get out there and do some poking around, take a few measuremnts and what not.

kennertree said:
If i were guessing, I'd say these trees were topped 4 to 5 years ago maybe longer. .
I agree; I was going to guess 5-8 years. We're in similar areas and I'm just guessing how much growth is above the topping cuts. OK mIke, now what? It sure would be nice if the owner remembers who the topping technicians were, and they could be made aware of what they have wrought.
Perhaps a lawsuit would heighten their awareness THat has worked here on trees that were topped to death.

Back to the original question, NO I do not think the root rot is caused by topping. Those surface wounds look like physical injury by mowing or grading. The topping certainly aggravated those defects but did not cause them.

MM: This is a "dead tree standing",

Another categorical judgment! Let the owner make the decision, willya?

Well, i went back out there and poked around a little more than the previous times. The owner was there this time so he got a chance to see what was there also. He decided upon removing 2 maples and keeping one.

I didnt really get any measurements, just more pics. From the pic you will be able to see why he chose a removal on this tree. There is alot of decay at the base of the tree, i stuck the screwdriver in the trunk and it went a long way. The tree doesnt have any roots holding it on that one side.

He chose to remove this tree also. Its roots were in better shape but it had large areas of decay throughout the top and bark inclusion on the codominant stem. Like most of you had said, i believe that this root had an injury. I poked this root with a screwdriver and ran into live wood within a half inch, not like the other tree.

kennertree said:
Well, i went back out there and poked around a little more than the previous times. The owner was there this time so he got a chance to see what was there also. He decided upon removing 2 maples and keeping one.

I didnt really get any measurements, just more pics. From the pic you will be able to see why he chose a removal on this tree. There is alot of decay at the base of the tree, i stuck the screwdriver in the trunk and it went a long way. The tree doesnt have any roots holding it on that one side.

Like I said, "Dead tree standing!" :laugh:

kennertree said:
He chose to remove this tree also. Its roots were in better shape but it had large areas of decay throughout the top and bark inclusion on the codominant stem. Like most of you had said, i believe that this root had an injury. I poked this root with a screwdriver and ran into live wood within a half inch, not like the other tree.

Good choice.

This tree is an, "Almost dead tree standing!" :laugh:

Do you grind stumps? Will you be replanting something for the guy? Tree work is a growing business when you stick em in as well as yank em out.

Having the customer see the screwdriver go in can speed up the decisions.

What will you be doing for the one tree he's keeping? Any root work?

"ran into live wood within a half inch" Uh, technically, what you ran into is solid wood; not necessarily alive...good on you to do the probing tho; collecting data is essential to informed decisions. Touch Trees!

He is gonna get the stump ground in the spring and replant with a species more suitable for the location. The tree he is keeping im going to clean the crown and maybe try vertical mulching. The roots on this tree are in pretty good shape, dont know about the roots i cant see though. Thanks alot for all the help, this is always a learning process.

Back