rope contamination

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewguelzow

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are concerns regarding the contamination of ropes due to working with chainsaws aloft. I have always been vigilant to keep my ropes away from chemicals (rock climbing and mountaineering), so I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to keep ropes safe from gas, oil, and grease (if it is even an issue). I assume that this type of exposure is unavoidable to a certain extent.
Thanks,
drew

Keep your fuel site away from ropes, saw filling and refilling should be done somewhere away from the tree and ropes.
When you are up the tree, the saw shouldn't be near your ropes, so actually being in a position where oil sling would get on it in any great amount is not a common thing. (Might happen occasionally)

Keep your ropes in a rope bag when transporting. I keep my gas and oil containers in another container in the truck so if they spill it doesn't go slopping around on everything else or soaking into the bottom of a rope bag.

That's about it really, if my rope does get mucky (usually just sap and dirt) I daisy chain it, chuck it in the washer on a short cycle with no soap, spin it and hang it up to dry!

Last edited:
Wecome to the site!

Gas, oil, and grease will probably do no damage to the rope (dacron, nylon, aramid, etc.) but will make the rope nasty to work with. Use some acetone and a little rag to clean off a patch of oil or grease.

Take it to the local Landry mat and just wash it and Hang dry it. Use their Big Washer for carpets, Bed Spreads. When done Hang it up in a loose coil to Dry. I have a N E Hi-Vee been washed 20 times

Take it to the local Landry mat and just wash it and Hang dry it. Use their Big Washer for carpets, Bed Spreads. When done Hang it up in a loose coil to Dry. I have a N E Hi-Vee been washed 20 times

Do you like clean rope or is it a really old rope? Like to see a pic of that. Reminds me I have to go wash my helmet, it stinks.

I've heard that urine is about the worst thing you could get on your rope. Very little chance of that happening , but I wonder how bad large quantities of sweat are for a rope.

When the rope was all out of the Bag and became full of Dirt, either from some Ground man walking on it or from pulling through Crotch's of Trees I'd wash it . That Dirt will get into the Brade and wear on it from the inside out. Fall and wither Early Spring when I was still in IL were wet muddy Months. Green Slimey, Brown Dirty Ropes.Keep them Clean they will last at least until you nick them

Latest posts

Back