Rope Size for Directional Felling of 120ft Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronco_buster

Reaction score
Looking for a little advice on felling a 120' dead oak tree. I've been looking at this tree for a year, its dead, and unfortunately I believe it may be within striking distance of my house, so it needs to go. I am probably going to have many more questions before I work up the nerve to drop it, but I wanted to start with rope recommendations. I don't think it needs winched over, it seems to lean in the direction I need it to go. It is on a hill, and the direction of intended fell is downhill. I think it could be dropped by an experienced arborist with just correct hinge and notch placement. My concern is that if it were to twist on me, its only 100' to my house, granted it would have to turn 90 degrees and go uphill, which I don't think would happen but I want to get my chances of it going astray as close to minimal as possible.

I'm looking for recommendations on rope diameter and strength. All I want is to direct the fall, I'm not looking to pull it over. I would like a second line running in a direction opposite the house to avoid it dropping in that direction.

I would like to get the rope as cheaply as possible, since its more or less single use. But, I don't mind spending on it if it gives me a level of security against failure. I'm going to be using my Stihl MS362CM, so its not like I'm one who cheaps out on their tools.

Any advice is appreciated.

257E78F0-AFBD-40A2-9FAF-2DF2E24571B4_zpsnigtquxw.jpg

If it is already leaning in the direction you want it to fall you wouldn't need much (gravity still works). Check for potential hang ups meaning where the tops can hang up in any other trees. Tying the rope as high in the tree as you can gives you more leverage. Tie the rope off on a solid anchor on the lower end. Two ropes makes it more complicated as the "side" rope catches on all the other trees. If it goes bad and hits the house, that's what homeowners insurance is for. :crazy2:

Looking for a little advice on felling a 120' dead oak tree. I've been looking at this tree for a year, its dead, and unfortunately I believe it may be within striking distance of my house, so it needs to go. I am probably going to have many more questions before I work up the nerve to drop it, but I wanted to start with rope recommendations. I don't think it needs winched over, it seems to lean in the direction I need it to go. It is on a hill, and the direction of intended fell is downhill. I think it could be dropped by an experienced arborist with just correct hinge and notch placement. My concern is that if it were to twist on me, its only 100' to my house, granted it would have to turn 90 degrees and go uphill, which I don't think would happen but I want to get my chances of it going astray as close to minimal as possible.

I'm looking for recommendations on rope diameter and strength. All I want is to direct the fall, I'm not looking to pull it over. I would like a second line running in a direction opposite the house to avoid it dropping in that direction.

I would like to get the rope as cheaply as possible, since its more or less single use. But, I don't mind spending on it if it gives me a level of security against failure. I'm going to be using my Stihl MS362CM, so its not like I'm one who cheaps out on their tools.

Any advice is appreciated.

257E78F0-AFBD-40A2-9FAF-2DF2E24571B4_zpsnigtquxw.jpg
Put 2 ropes on it. One to pull it over and another tied tight to keep it from falling towards the house. Don't put a truck on it and pull like crazy you may barber chair the whole tree and or break the rope.

d14a770bcf174c70503ff4ba0c6a55b5.jpg
82be35c2fb5d7dfbc849b2f5f110ebf1.jpg
I just cut this gum 25 foot from house and put about 65 foot of crappy chain on it 20 foot high in tree atached to my tractor I think weight of the chains was enough to ensure it fell the way I wanted it to

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good job on getting it to go where you wanted ,but i would recommend not cutting below your hinge like that ,and try to keep your back cut more flat also ,the tree could go over backwards possibly with the back cut like that .

How can it go backwards chained to a tractor that is in reverse with clutch held in ready to be released

Well it looks like you cut through your hinge in the images ,you lose control of steering the tree doing that ,could be the angle i am looking at ,but i do not see a hinge under the saw .

It won't all that big, gum tears it of right clean to

Good job on getting it to go where you wanted ,but i would recommend not cutting below your hinge like that ,and try to keep your back cut more flat also ,the tree could go over backwards possibly with the back cut like that .
Good advice! It's all good until it goes bad.

I guess my hope of receiving rope recommendations has been derailed.

Maybe I can salvage this thread back on topic...

I didn't ask whether or not I should or should not attempt to cut the tree down myself, but I do appreciate the concern.

I merely wanted to know what strength of rope would be sufficient to guide a tree down, given that it would be a single use proposition, and pretty much not used for weight bearing.

I know I could buy rope that could handle a professional arborists needs...I just think much of it would be overkill for this task.

Latest posts

Back