Rope Size for Directional Felling of 120ft Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When of the teenage grandkids are around, I have them climb <G>

Wife does not want me climbing, so if by myself use an 80# draw compound bow with aluminum arrow with a 3/4" brass weight on the end.
Maybe the HO has a bow and arrow?
Shoot arrow with monofilament line over the crotch/branch for the cable.
Then I pull an 1/8" nylon line with the mono, then a 3/8" poly rope with the 1/8" line, then the wire rope with the poly rope.
Have gotten 70 ft high with 5/8" wire rope that way.

A small dbh 120' tall tree can easily weigh over 6,000 pounds. The weight will increase rapidly with small increases in diameter.
Proper felling technique using wedges, not rope, will provide the mechanical advantage you need. Ropes are used for climbing the tree and lowering it in sections.
Bring them wedges son, I got one for you monday:rolleyes:

Bring them wedges son, I got one for you monday:rolleyes:

I agree. Wedges are for folks that don't know how to set a rope 60ft. up in a tree without leaving the ground. I use both as I find plastic wedges are great to hold the kerf open should it want to close. This tells me to increase rope tension a bit to not more than it takes to pull the tree over.

Great photo of a felling job you got there for the 'wedge only' crowd.

Bring them wedges son, I got one for you monday...

When I see trees like that, I'm always tempted to ask the homeowner just why the hell they waited so many years to finally do something about it. Is there some guy walking around telling them, "Oh, it's just a wee bit sickly... give it a few years and it will perk right up and be fine!" ...?

When I see trees like that, I'm always tempted to ask the homeowner just why the hell they waited so many years to finally do something about it. Is there some guy walking around telling them, "Oh, it's just a wee bit sickly... give it a few years and it will perk right up and be fine!" ...?
I was the only one who took the job. The owner said 3 had refused to remove it for him. Funny those same 3 are always cheap when it comes to stuff they feel they can handle. I'm about sick of doing only the hard jobs because of price alone sheesh:surprised3: I got cut throated on two jobs this week, one was crane job, other was a failed 40 inch dbh white oak, just cleaned up stump ground. I bid 1500 which I thought was more than fair and customer agreed. Well; he calls me few hours ago and informed me my price was beat by 750.00 :wtf: I'm about to sell the farm and move somewhere that will hire me, as I am sick of it.

It gets old in a hurry, doesn't it? Sometimes you just have to wait out the Three Meth Heads & a Dump Truck guys and hope they hurry up and go bankrupt or get their parole revoked, so you can get back to work.

Wedges are for simple trees that are not near structures or overhead power. Anyone thinking different best have their insurance paid in full. I use wedges for bucking and at times felling and they are a tool but by no means will they be a directional felling go too. Square if you tried a wedge on that red oak you would have made the late news that I 200% guarantee!:yes:

Back