roper made craftsman 3.7 bar studs stripped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustymaggot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
how do i replace the bar studs? if im not supposed to try to unscrew them then i dont wanna break anything else by trying. anyone know how these come out? i got the saw yesterday and havent done anything besides look at the bar studs(i knew they were stripped when i bought the saw, hence the 20 dollar price tag). havent tried to start it yet

You could ask for a service manual in the Beg for Manuals thread in the Stickies section.
I'm not familiar with the construction of that saw, but on many saws you can drain the bar oil and see the back end of the stud(s). If they are square, they are usually (always?) removed by driving them into the oil res and replaced in reverse fashion.

Thinking those studs just thread into bosses, see the case pics 1 & 3 on page 2 of this classic old ‘Roper 3.7 tear down & rebuild thread’ by Opihi59.

Without your specific model number 917.XXXXXX, there could have been a revision though…pull the fill cap & look into the fuel tank, may be able to see the boss ends with a flashlight.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/roper-3-7-tear-down-and-rebuild.180262/post-7495978
Sample IPL:
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/4lrgqstlm7-000247/craftsman-917353750-chainsaw-parts

best i can tell the bar studs are threaded in not pressed from the inside of the tank. i tried gripping and trying to unscrew one with a vicegrip. didnt move. ill try again later, but i hesitate to try heat as the fuel tank is right there. the bar studs seem to be very very soft metal tho. i havent had time to look into the no spark issue yet. i did pull the exhaust cover off and look at piston and walls and they seem good. no damage i could spot.

Latest posts

Back