Rose pruning anyone....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have two small rose bushes in my yard. They are next to my deck, in a pretty shady area. I am wondering if these are OK left here or do they need more sunlight?

Also how do you go about pruning these for proper growth? Should I only have a certain number of stems that are a certain height? Do I "top" them after they have flowered?

These are small < 2' tall. They have roughly 6 stems each. and I can still see where they flowered last year.

Roses

I always cut off died blooms .And always cut back to leaf set of 5 or more .

Right now there are NO leaves as they havent budded yet.

Will these flower only once or multiple times through the year with proper pruning?

Depending on the type how much they will re flower but dead head before seed production will take energy used for seed production and use it for flowering and new growth .

rose pruning

I always wait until the plant has begun to leaf out. This makes it easier to be SURE where any winterkill may have occurred. First you clip out the dead bits, then you walk around the plant and decide whether the shape (after dead pruning) still suits you. If not, prune it until you like it.

Roses need sun and you are more likely to have disease and bug problems when they are grown in the shade.

I wouldn't exactly call this a bush of roses I can walk around. They would fit in the BOTTOM of a five gallon paint can and not even reach halfway. The builder planted them last year when the house was done.

As well as what kate said from my experiences with smaller rose bushes they are probably one of the few plants you can reduce down to pretty much a 7-10" stub in the winter depending on how big you want it the next year. They love sun meagre water, and are truly trainable. We have several patches of wild pink variety in our yard and in the fall I whack them to about 1ft and raze the suckers surrounding them, they have yet to fail in bringing a beautiful harvest each year, about the only thing I do for them is a bit of bone-meal and some flora-bloom type 20-20-20. There are many varieties and depending on what you want in the end (bush, shrub, tree, or just some nice foliage) is how you treat them imho, don't cut the main stalk, leave a few branches where u want and so forth. No pro but its worked for me and there they are again sprouting like crazy in the back yard.
Tonnes of info on them in all their glory, go google 'rose care', should keep you busy for several years. :)

:cheers:

Last edited:
There is a world of information at the Jackson and Perkins website. I spent my extra money on fruit trees already this year and will have to wait until next spring to start some roses.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I will cruise those later on.

I might have to move these as they are in a partial sun location.

One of the best things you can do is contact the builder and find out what type of roses he planted. Then you'll know how to prune and how much sun they need. Some roses actaully do quite well in part sun of 4 to 6 hours.

Newt

after the growth has died off, down to a good lateral if possible. Find out what you got, because some roses have slightly different preferences.

One of the best things you can do is contact the builder and find out what type of roses he planted. Then you'll know how to prune and how much sun they need. Some roses actaully do quite well in part sun of 4 to 6 hours.

Newt

The guy who built this place is an idiot!!! He couldnt tell me if I had granite, marble, or corian for counters in one of the bathrooms. He also couldnt rememeber who hydroseeded the lawn.

There is a world of information at the Jackson and Perkins website.

That is also the place to find the best roses out there, IMO. These people are fantastic, and their roses are the best. I had one go wild after TWO YEARS, and they replaced it at no charge, with no questions. Yes, you'll pay more, but this is one of those deals where it's well worth it.

BostonBull, roses generally like some sun, so you may be wasting your time pruning those. Best to do some reading, find out how much sun you need, and how much they are getting, and decide from there. It's possible that you'll be better off just replacing them with something that likes shade.

Whatever you do, stay away from Michigan Bulb or any of its sister companies. You will occasionally get a good plant from them.

And whatever you plant (or keep), use Spray-n-Grow. It's NOT snake oil! The stuff works as well as they say it does.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=347393&postcount=14

I think I'd consider moving them to a sunny area next winter. Too late this year. When you prune them, prune out the center of the bush too. I prune anything that grows toward the inside and any shoots that cross another shoot. Pick up all dead leaves from last year. Helps minimize black spot. Be ready in a few months to go aphid hunting. I use an old dishsoap squirt bottle with a couple of tables spoons of soap and half full of water. Shake it up and hit them aphids with the suds.

Roses

Move em into the sun, will reduce disease problems etc. Being that they are so small, they may actually be carpet roses, and need little pruning except deadheading, and removal of dead wood. You will probably have to spray if yuo want to keep them perfect. Black spot, aphids, root rot, all can be problems, depending on the type of rose it is. Rugosa rose has none of these problems, and is seashore friendly.

Here is the Rose bed that we are starting. We usually will have dead stalks
that we cut back to where we think that they are still alive. And we always
cut them back pretty short once a year (either then end of the season or before they start growing in the spring).

attachment.php

Boston Bull,

I reading your post again and comments of others I agree it's best to move them to a sunny spot. Most roses need at least 6 hours of full sun to bloom well. Since you live in New England you can still move them this year.

Newt

Back