Round length while cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whitespider,

LOL i have a dead elm on my property that looks much like your oak bush.
I keep not looking at mine but it wont go away.

You’ve shown pictures of those before Harry. I thought it looked like a good idea so I made one like yours that attaches at on the bar stud. I used a piece of fiberglass rod from a bicycle flag. It worked real good last winter when I was dragging logs out’a the snow and up into the yard where I was working in the open… lightening fast! But when the snow melted and I started working back in the woodlot again it didn’t work so well. Darn thing was always getting caught on some brush, branches, saplings, weeds and whatnot... and it’s kind of a pain when starting your bucking in the branches at the top end of felled tree. Another thing, if you can’t work right-to-left it becomes useless… and I couldn’t come up with a secure and convenient way to mount one to the left side of the saw.

I still have it though… hanging in the shop.

Oh... and one other thing (but I worked around it), it won't let you lay the saw on its side for refueling.

I rarely use it now that I am in locust due to the same problem you have, not enough nice straight sections on a tree. But to address the problems you had with the system:

Bucking branches: Takes but a few seconds to mount/dismount the rod on the quick stix.

Can't work left to right? How come? You eyeball where to cut now by flopping your saw around, what's wrong with holding bar on cut and eyeballing end of rod? Or even faster, just eyeball where the rod end is as you finish the cut. Also saves those few seconds of flopping the saw around :).

For anyone considering it. Don't even think about using the plastic rods that come with the thing. I broke every one within a few cuts just by setting the saw down crooked - theyi are brittle and snap right at the thread. A 5/16" CRS rod will thread jusst fine with an 8mm die.

Harry K

turnkey4099,

Just a though on your measure device, a spring at the base i bet would allow it to move for fueling and move when it hits something.

I can picture Whitespiders point of a rigid measure on the saw being a run into pain in a brushy location.

Sometimes the trees get in the way of seeing the forest!!

I didn't even think about glancing at the rod end as I was finishing the cut Harry, I guess my attention is focused on the moving chain and falling round out of habit. So then I was trying to lift and hold the saw against the cut end, reference something for the next cut and move sideways at the same time... and the moving-while-referencing didn't work so well trying to hold the bar flush against the cut end. Actually a glance-over anytime during the cut would work.

Still, I have to say, when I was using it right-to-left, on trimmed logs in the open yard it was lightening fast... yes, faster than my saw-rotating method. But it is a method with limitations, there are just times and places where it ain't convenient (such as working in brushy areas and such), and it does add one more piece of equipment to haul (although it carries easily in a back pocket). Like I said, I still have it, and I'll most likely use it again sometime... but not while working in the woodlot.

Latest posts

Back