rpm and porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booger1286

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just been readin up on some porting and was wondering what kind of rpms do you guys generally gain from porting a cylinder, In the cut and out?
Also how do you guys use a tach to tune after porting? I usually just go by ear but i would like to be more precise.

Just been readin up on some porting and was wondering what kind of rpms do you guys generally gain from porting a cylinder, In the cut and out?
Also how do you guys use a tach to tune after porting? I usually just go by ear but i would like to be more precise.

Each engine is different, and it all depends on what you're going to use the saw for. I use a tach more or less as a reference, not as a strict guideline to a specific rpm, unless I've predetermined a good working rpm through testing and experience. With a stock saw you can tune to the max recommended rpm and the saw will run fine, but there is often more to be had. I try and keep a normal ported work saw tuned within about 1,000/1,500 rpm of the factory max rpm, even if it's getting plenty of fuel at a much higher rpm. All of this changes when you're simply going to cut a few cookies as fast as you can.:msp_smile:

If you want to keep rpm's down when porting, keep your exhaust and transfer timing numbers stock, add a little intake duration, and don't go crazy wide with your ports. Honestly if you're just blocking firewood, a simple muffler mod can do wonders. :popcorn:

We all start somewhere, it's best to take baby steps first, than to try and run a marathon on your first day walking.:msp_smile:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back