RRRRRetard!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
New Year's Day one of my friends calls me up. Apparently somebody had been doing tree work down the road from her house, and was kind enough to wipe out power to about 40 homes in her neighborhood. This was around 12:30 PM. I took a ride up there around 4:00 to check out the carnage. They dropped a roughly 3' diameter oak tree which more than likely would have knocked out the power lines on its own. However while the tree was falling it managed to uproot (it was COLD that day) a ~20" DBH silver birch, that tree given its location would have DEFINATELY taken out the wires. Power was not restored until 6:00. Needless to say the neighbors are not pleased, but nobody knows who did the job. I was talking with one of my friends today, he gave me a name.

Apparently these morons pulled up to the job with a 50' bucket, put the boom up in the air with the idea of piecing it out from the bucket. The truck didn't reach high enough to be effective (big suprise with a 50 footer!) so they decided to just bomb the entire thing. Obviously we all know how that turned out. So when the power company showed up, the linemen told the idiots to just take off, because they were getting triple overtime, and didn't care to take down information. This is of course what was told to me third party, and I am hopeful (particularly knowing CL&P billing practices) that these bums will get a bill in about two months.

It's just shameful in my eyes though that they would A. work on New Year's Day, B, proceed in the manner that they did after realizing that "We're gonna need a bigger boat." and C. be able to walk away with no immediate knowledge of impending doom... they think they are getting away scott free, which I hope is NOT the case.

A company took out some power lines in my area last year, they were a sub for a builder getting ready to add a home addition. I was called after the fact to grind the stumps. I was told by the contractor that the city would be billing the tree removal company in the 20k range. 2 transformers, 2 poles and double overtime for night work.

A company took out some power lines in my area last year, they were a sub for a builder getting ready to add a home addition. I was called after the fact to grind the stumps. I was told by the contractor that the city would be billing the tree removal company in the 20k range. 2 transformers, 2 poles and double overtime for night work.

No doubt just an insurance claim for them. Maybe a 5 hun deductable. Pays to go for the reputation.

Last edited:
I know a guy that flipped a crane took down both sides of the street phone , cable and all power snapped 3 poles at the ground and had a road closed for almost 6 hours , they billed him 4K for the service repair and 12 K for cop and twp support !

Insurance paid then sent him a cancellation along with a check for a few thousand ! LOL so he made money on his deal , now he was put in a new bracket and I would imagine a crane will be damn near uninsurable

True, the title of the post should have been different. But offensive? All the improper language, name calling, and other references posted daily on this site, and the word retard is offensive? Would not want anyone's feelings to be hurt. What a baby.

I feel ridiculous explaining something that should be universally understood but here goes. A person who is retarded is unable to change their situation. Using the word retarded to describe the actions of someone who is careless, stupid or uneducated (all conditions that can be changed) is an inexcusably cruel slur to people who have enough problems.

If retard is the worst thing to be called I will take it , I've heard that since I was old enough to understand why ! Was it right hardly ,have I tried to curb that around my kids absolutely . I don't take offense when one adult says it to another I wanna break that cycle with my kids though I don't wanna be the person to put that word into there vocabulary

Not going to even bother to look up Websters but if a tree lacks moisture its growth is retarded...a completely changeable situation. I too have grown up with that word around me and it did not refer to an unchangeable situation but rather someone acting stupidly, thoughtlessly, inconsiderately, carelessly....

But I do see where you are coming from. Use of this word historically has often been in effect to change someone's behavior by identifying it as less than acceptable. The PC police with the help of Wikepedia look to control speech and decide what is meant and what can be said. Anyone can change definitions in Wikepedia.

True, the title of the post should have been different. But offensive? All the improper language, name calling, and other references posted daily on this site, and the word retard is offensive? Would not want anyone's feelings to be hurt. What a baby.

Actually that is probably most offensive. Give me the "improper language" any day over name calling a person who cannot help the way that they are.

As the father of a disabled son I could tell you that word means. And it has nothing to do with two idiots trying to cut a tree down the wrong way.

I fear most my reaction, when he is older and somebody refers to him that way. After years of surgeries, therapies, worrying, I just might not be able to control my own actions. Does that make me a "baby" ? Guess so

Remember folks in this line of work, one bad fall and any one of us could end up being the one in permanent round-the-clock hospital care. Take nothing for granted.

Sorry, rant over

Ahh semantics...gay was once a happy care free word (now it refers to 2 people trying to have sex whose organs don't mate). Corn hole similar in the opposite way as it used to refer to receiving an organ where it was not dsigned to go...many many other examples... fags used to be universal word for ciggs. Old habits die hard like putting seat belts on. This word was used as a derogatory term for someone that most often deserved it (first), not someone that like your son, is absolutely not deserving of it and whatsmore is deserving of understanding and compassion. I have a son that is special needs also and have been through 24 years of what you describe although we actually got him through a 4 year college degree, with help at the college and way more from home. I too would feel like striking someone that referred to my son as a retard, but not someone that felled a tree taking out wires and a roof...that may be the softest of choices of words he might hear imo.

Kick em in the nuts if they insult your son, but to call these idiots retards...different situation. I don't see the offense.

I can almost guarantee you a parent of a child with mental retardation would be hurt by the use of that word, especially with the implied stutter at the front. If you feel that the pain you cause others using that word in this way is worth it for the laughs it gives you, then by all means, exercise your first amendment rights. I am making an effort to eliminate using this word in this context from my vocabulary (I still slip up sometimes). If you are saying you can't see the difference between using the word as it was in the title and describing engine timing, I suspect you are not being truthful. I am not sorry for the rant as this strikes close to home

Latest posts

Back