Run her wide open or baby it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run that puppy it is like a woman you ain't gonna hurt it lol.
I run all my motors the way I expect to work them so they
are acclimated to me. Two strokes wot is the only way but
let off out of the cut I once witnessed a guy that never let
off he must have had the first diesel powered chainsaw :laugh:

Now the real question to blip or not to blip lol.

I would never use syn oil as break-in oil. After break-in it's great. just mix reg stihl oil a little on the strong side while breaking it in. Don't run wide open if it's not under load. That's what a couple of techs told me to do. WDO

The reason you don't want to run it part throttle is because of the design of the carb. I'm told that they don't meter correctly at part throttle. I just avoid long extended high load cuts until it's got a few tanks through it. .....

:agree2: :givebeer: There is no midrange jet in the carb, H and L only, so they run lean at halv-throttle.

...but I believe extended WOT out of wood will harm the saw.

I did exactly what was said by everyone above. That said, the manual that came with my new 361 specifically stated to run partial throttle only for the first three tanks-no WOT. I assume the Stihl engineers know more about this than the rest of us, but I still ran it like I stole it. It would take quite a while to run three tanks at partial throttle.

Here is a snip of the copy of the online manual for the MS361:

Stihl.jpg

Also, the manual specifically says not to add extra oil for a "break in" period. Again, I trust the engineers that designed the thing.

Last edited:
The way I read the manual is, do not run full throttle off a load not on a load,so if you are cutting it is under a load.

The way I read the manual is, do not run full throttle off a load not on a load,so if you are cutting it is under a load.

Ah, I missed that nuance. That said, I did it right! WOT, (in the cut), baby!:chainsaw:

All Stihl dealers violate this rule when you purchase a saw. The first thing they do is run it wide open with a tach to “set the RPMS”. They usually do this 3 or 4 times just to be sure. Run the thing like you borrowed it from your brother-in-law. If you baby it, it will never “learn” to cut wood. B’sides its only a $800+ saw. You’ll make that back on your first job!

WOT most of the time... but there are exceptions.

preference is to blip throttle when cutting tangled wood and there's a danger of kickback. also when cutting down next to ground, chain is getting ready to kiss the dirt.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that you're a lot more apt to get kickback running at slower chain speeds as well, generally speaking.

Latest posts

Back