Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha ha.... ya don't wana see close up's of those tires, they are 20/20, good at 20ft and 20mph....chains fix everything else

They are tires and rims that came with one of my previous mud trucks, badly cracked, aired to the max, 2 of them are tubed and 1 has a steel plate also. All my loads are on farm so I might hit 10ish mph so even a reasonable attempt at stacking on the truck will get to the pile/stove.

So I got a few more in before the mud season started, which was pretty much tonight as it rained, hard, snow pretty much gone....the temps are suppose to drop off again so I'm not putting the saw's away yet.

Here's another part load of dead green and dead fall 4 fts for the pile and some kibbles for the stove from my place, as per usual

IMG_5467[1].JPG

IMG_5468[1].JPG

I also got a new brush cutter, Echo PAS 266 power head with the brush cutter head. Nothing full on pro level but will do just fine for what I need it for, cutting willow for more logging road so I can keep the loads coming with less wear and tear on saw's and me. I will be getting more attachment for it down the road as there is a plan, like the hedge trimmer head to deal with over grown quad trails.

IMG_5465[1].JPG

I have a Yard Man YM 90 and is an impressive weed whacker and has big power as it is 31cc but just wouldn't stay together as it repeatedly blew shafts and gear box so it's relegated to weed whacking status only.

IMG_5470[1].JPG

Here's some newly cleared truck trail, Thank you Echo for taking the beating off my saw's, ax and me!!!

Now for something different. We are about a mile from a local river and last springs massive flooding dropped the main trunk of a tree right beside the crossing I use to get the quad across the river. Limbless, barkless and so dead solid poplar it rang. Since there were foot prints and butt polish spots on the log someone was coming down and using it so I decided to leave it where it was till fall then go get it as spring flooding would just wash it away anyway. I left it too long and it was frozen in so I gave it a few tries this spring as the snow disappeared, try 1 still frozen in river not running, try 2 still frozen in signs of water working the ice, left it a few days and went to check it after work....dang rivers running... ice bergs flowin... hard... By chance the log just popped out of where it was and was washed up against a rock against the bank so it wasn't going to be easy but recoverable.

image1.JPG

So the wife and I ran down this afternoon with the 2 quads and a trailer. Cut the root ball off at the river bank and winched the log up the quad trail to block up and haul out. Ol Honda took the majority of the load and the wife pulled up the rear on the Big Bear with a few strapped down rounds. I shoulda brought 034 as that log was dead hard and worked the piss out of my Ski 350 but didn't want to beat it up with water spray and possible gravel stuck in the tree...got it done, but a bit slower. It took everything the skidder jr had in second to get up the hill even with 4 chains on but it was well worth it. Had a few hard looks from passer by's as we ran down my ditch/fence line next to a main highway .... what never seen a quad put to work before?

Thanks!!

It is a Canadian sold 90 as they were available till 91 up here and was a beaten up carcass when I bought it. We have spent lots time on the trail and rebuilding and it only faltered once because of a bad brand new fuel pump. In summer in has 27in swamps lites and has a 4K Bronco winch that can be taken front to rear, full foot boards, snorkeled, LED lights, reverse light and a 5 gallon custom fuel tank.

Good ol tough machine, just wish it road smoother

Thanks!!

It is a Canadian sold 90 as they were available till 91 up here and was a beaten up carcass when I bought it. We have spent lots time on the trail and rebuilding and it only faltered once because of a bad brand new fuel pump. In summer in has 27in swamps lites and has a 4K Bronco winch that can be taken front to rear, full foot boards, snorkeled, LED lights, reverse light and a 5 gallon custom fuel tank.

Good ol tough machine, just wish it road smoother
Cool.

Ours was mostly bulletproof. Auto clutch was starting to slip when I sold it in 2000.

So I have done a few loads here and there with the usual split of 4's and kibbles as the temps have dropped off again.

0319161855a.jpg

0321162018a.jpg

0321162019a.jpg

Nothing spectacular here but .....

0321161850b.jpg

This lil twig decided to snap off the top of a tree behind me today and came down and hit my left hand and saw I was walking towards another tree, ya that widow maker just about got me. Now for the not so funny part a whole minuet later as I dropped the 10iner I was working on, a pinky sized branch about 2 ft long came down from some where and nailed the button of my cap, hola did ring my bell and it was just a twig.

Back to the bush again tomorrow and I hope things go better.

How are your loads coming?

Attachments

• 0321161850c.jpg
    0321161850c.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 24
So I'm getting close to done for 4ft's this year as I just have to fill in that dip, that'll be a nice thing happen soon as quadin' season is going to upon us soon.

IMG_5503[1].JPG

IMG_5504[1].JPG

IMG_5506[1].JPG

Not a huge failure but my vise on the truck has acted up when I turn it while sharpening saws, well I found out why today. The bolt in the center had backed out. I'll fix it some time this week.

IMG_5509[1].JPG

Damn I wish my other phone would take pic's like this.....

Keep the load's coming .... or are you guy's done runnin' loads for the year?

Well did a bit today but only a few hrs in the actual bush. Was good until the I started loading then the heavy wet snow started.... grrrr wet hands for the rest of the day.

0326161831a.jpg

This wasn't a great thing to happen about 3/4 of the way through the day. Was a fairly new chain with only 2 or 3 sharpening, kinda pissed me off as it flew passed my right foot. I really should have gone to 3/8's.

Well getting close to full melt down around here and time to drop the saw for a bit, good thing I'm just about done. Here's a few shots of the last couple weeks.

0331162042a.jpg

A load of kibbles me and my new loader, a sweet lil 8 year old girl, did in a couple hrs.

0331161934a.jpg

0403161935a.jpg

0403161946a.jpg

Was working by my swamp, whole it was still liquid for a bit and pulled a bit on each truck, kibbles and 4ft's

0404162027a.jpg

Another load off the edge of the swamp

0406161934a.jpg 0406161936a.jpg

And a widow maker I was trying to get down. It was still half attached and pointing straight down to start with, after 8 -10 tries it got to here and I got it to here and pulled my phone for a pic for the next couple fails..... I got it and extracted my revenge on it.

Let's see your days in the bush.....

Thanks. They were some nice rounds. Lot of ripping n splitting to make firewood but a lot of firewood in the end.

20160702_205132.jpg Dunno where all my logging pics on my phone went to, I think I accident did a cut and paste when I sent them to my Web page guy.
Had some videos too. About the only thing I have is my car near my log deck at the shop I took a few days
ago.

(No, I didn't cut these, a contractor crew did and we bought them. They are building houses almost faster than we can haul logs)
Have sbout 300 cords there and another 175 in a deck up in the woods. Enough to last the rest of the year.

20160702_205101.jpg

View attachment 511617 Dunno where all my logging pics on my phone went to, I think I accident did a cut and paste when I sent them to my Web page guy. Had some videos too. About the only thing I have is my car near my log deck at the shop I took a few days
ago.(No, I didn't cut these, a contractor crew did and we bought them. They are building houses almost faster than we can haul logs)Have sbout 300 cords there and another 175 in a deck up in the woods. Enough to last the rest of the year.View attachment 511616

omg! so site theme perfect! I am thinking maybe u r the winner for most cords... sounds like 500 to me! wonder if anyone can beat that!!!

sometimes I just laff at myself... with the puny, BS scrounge pix I post... lol... :laughing: but :wtf: ??? a scrounge is a scrounge... I guess it's like the penny and the 20-dollar bill... most won't pick up the penny, but few if any... will walk past a loose $20 lying on the ground! lol.

guess for me its kinda like farming... never seen a barn nor pasture I dint like... and here on the AS never seen a scrounge or woodpile I din't like.

VF, some times I tend to think you are not taking the best care of yourself up there, but then I see pix like these and think: the boy has got it together...

and while on the subject... are you native to AK? if not can u tell us how u came to relocate into The Great Beyond?... I :heart: Alaska! :yes: my fav state, for sure. been there a few times. I would have to have a float plane over at Lke Hood... and buzz in and out. and on and off the water. I am a COMML rated SE SEAPLANE pilot... and next to jets, cat shots! and light sport planes... its a float plane for me!... just love 'em, so specialized!! :) good pix, enjoyed the 'wood pile!' you take care now, here... of yourself... :D

light sport, jets and float planes for the Backyard Lumberjack...
flp.jpg

Latest posts

Back