Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a 300 six in our Asplundh 16" brush chipper, industrial motor. My uncle had the same chipper with a V8 and the rad was a little wider and his guys kept knocking it out backing up. High school buddy had a Comet Caliente with a 390, cool little car, Joe.

I used a Vermeer 1600A with the 300-6 for a couple months with a tree service. That was a fast chipping machine, but a little scary to operate. No feed drum, just a straight shot you the drum. Good thing we were mostly chipping fir, since any forked branches were liable to hit a guy in the back of the head after instantly accelerating to 60 mph upon hitting the drum. Made chips quick though!

Speaking of that motor though, here is a trailer load that I pulled with my 300-6 powered F250. I forgot to grab a picture before I changed to my off road tractor. rps20180207_054108_499.jpg

I used a Vermeer 1600A with the 300-6 for a couple months with a tree service. That was a fast chipping machine, but a little scary to operate. No feed drum, just a straight shot you the drum. Good thing we were mostly chipping fir, since any forked branches were liable to hit a guy in the back of the head after instantly accelerating to 60 mph upon hitting the drum. Made chips quick though!

Speaking of that motor though, here is a trailer load that I pulled with my 300-6 powered F250. I forgot to grab a picture before I changed to my off road tractor. View attachment 631049
We called the old drum chippers "chuck and duck" chippers. The first time my wife saw my back she said I looked like one of the boat slaves on Ben Hur. I had whole shirts, gloves, hats, and glasses go through the chipper. Pin Oak was nasty to chip, always drew blood, Joe.

View attachment 622747 We've had a steady diet of -2F here for well over a week, difficult to stay at it too long.
Diesel starts, put chains on it and away we go.
Noticed you have a diesel kitty cat! If you ever have any questions or want to pep it up, I turbocharged mine and am extremely familiar with them.

Took advantage of the 35F and sunny weather to cut 5 ranger bed loads with the help of 2 buddies. Ground was still frozen so it made for perfect working conditions. Cut all standing dead oak/maple in the 4-10" range and 99% dry. The diesel trio probably burned less than 1 gallon combined for the afternoon (vw tdi swapped ranger, 700 diesel arctic cat, and my lister powered super split).

Hola snap... !!!

That’s and dang good few loads of rounds there, hope that stuff was dry or it coulda been, trailer snap ...!!

Keep on ... Runnin’ Loads ...!!!

IMG_20180308_083459842_HDR.jpg IMG_20180308_083513821.jpg IMG_20180308_103002657_HDR.jpg IMG_20180308_103013372_HDR.jpg

Couple more. Thought I had posted them here but must have only on o***p***e.

That big load of rounds was a short haul about two miles. Didn't have time to make multiple trips that day. Had to go for broke. Not too worried about the trailer as it's a real odd duck. 7000gvw but homemade by a friend that over does things. The tires will blow before it has a frame issue. Makes a nice woodhauler not having a dovetail and sitting higher than most.

Had to throw the logs in the tractor bucket in the last picture just to give the landowner a laugh.

Steven

Edit: Actually there is one major weakness in that trailer. The jack sucks!!!! Going to have to upgrade that eventually.

Couple weeks ago I wasn't running this load......more of a slow crawl....thankfully "johnny" was home to help me outView attachment 639791 View attachment 639792
last weekend was a little better but still almost didn't make it out of the swamp.

I know it seems brutal and hackish but go get a set of 4 tire chans and you’ll pull right through that and do less ground damage.

Keep on .... Runnin’ Loads !!!

Back