Running Newer Stihl models

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked it up the other day and the dealer's mechanic said there is nothing wrong with the saw. I did hear it running back in the shop. Before I went to pick it up I read a post somewhere about the 362 - don't use the compression release. I tried it without the compression release - used the full choke on two pulls and then one pull with no choke and it started right up. Now I know the trick to this saw.

Nosmo

I always thought it was foolish to put a compression release on small or mid-sized saws, they are the easiest way to flood a saw if not used correctly. I only use it on my MS660 and I am careful to only crank it on full choke only for 2 or 3 cranks. Believe me, a flooded 660 is no fun to start

Steve

i love how people on this site and many other sites on the web have one thing in common. they always do what they can to throw mud and badmouth the manufactures whom are the best at what they do. if being the fastest and lightest makes a saw #1 in you mind,then so be it. i would much rather have a saw that is a little heavier, because of build quality. it is proven time and again, i would like to see a comparison between a 20 year old ms261 and a 550xp,we all know the husky will have long been in the recycled plastic bin. stihl is #1 for a reason, i am sure they are not the least bit worried about husky, and what other manufacture they are trying to buy to try and compete. husky's marketing and dealer network sucks. as far as deere goes they are #1 worldwide for the same reasons. first and foremost they have not been bought up by anyone else. deere most likely has dealers that are better than others,but facts are facts, they have the best marketing, parts and dealer network there is. that is why they succeed where others fail. say what you want, look at resale of both brands- it doesn't get any better. i use both husky and stihl equipment, and have a few old deere tractors around. it sure is nice being able to go down the road to same family owned dealer, and get any part i need for a 30-40 year old tractor, and they now sell stihl as well, so that is a plus too.

Disclaimer: I own both Husky and Stihl.

You are right, if you owned both the 550XP and a MS261 the Stihl would look like brand new because you would be constantly be reaching for the more powerful, lighter weight, and more nimble 550XP while the heavier and less powerful Stihl would just remain a garage/shed queen. Since they are both Pro saws, I think they both would be running and not in the recycled plastic bin as you are able to replace every part on each.

Did you know the MS261 is mostly plastic too? I guess the creamsicle Kool-Aid and flippy cap OCD syndrome may be clouding your objective look on this matter.:msp_wub:

My MS362 USED to Bind

Gents,

I bought an MS362 a few months ago when I killed my Husky 353 (Had it 7 yrs; well broken in). At first I found the saw to hold RPMs okay and reach peak speeds fine, but it would bind easily in a heavy cut. I use an 18 bar with both RMC (full chisel) and RMS (semi chisel) chains and cut stumps, logs and fell trees that are mostly between 8-20 inches in diameter. I too was concerned and read posts on here about waiting for it to break in/wake up/run better. I also used Stihl Ultra full synthetic oil from day 1 so I expected the break in process to take a little while longer.

Like I said it started , ran and accelerated fine so I dont and never did suspect lean running. It actually 4 cycled just as it should at Wide Open Throttle just prior to burying the saw in a cut. Fast forward to 8 litres of fuel burned (Estimate about 20 odd tanks). the saw contiunues to start and run well and certainly doesnt bind easily in a cut anymore; however If I push it hard I can make it bind with anything less than full throttle. When it does, the engine still turns ouver as a good speed.

My theory is that the clutch needs to break in and until the three weights wear against and bed themselves into the clutch drum, they dont transfer full engine torque. This explains the binding happening much less frequently. One evening I'll probably pull the clutch hub to grease the bearing and will look for wear in the clutch counter weights.

I'd love to see others that have modded the MS362 muffler; but for now I'm going to leave well enough alone.

It gets my goat to read this stuff about Stihl having nothing to offer. I do own both brands and love them both but my 441C would definetly smoke my 372xpw if it were stock. And both weigh the same within an ounce or so according to the weight thread.

99% of the population (besides us saw geeks on AS) pay no mind to an ounce of weight or sideways balance or whatever else. To say Stihl has nothing to offer is absurd. The 440, 441C, 460, 660 are some of the greatest saws ever built. You can beat them to death, drop them over hills, throw them around, and they'll keep on trucking.

I'm not taking anything away from Husqvarna. They are building remarkable saws and I love them. But the average guy is'nt looking at all the specs and pouting over 1/2oz of weight. If they prefer Stihl they buy Stihl. Same with Husky. The little BS stuff we discuss on here all the time means squat to a working man in the woods. Give him a good saw with a reputable name and he'll go to work.

Back