Ryobi 10532 vs Poulan Wild Thing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turd Furgeson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've lurked on here a couple times and finally set up an account. I picked up a wild thing for 129.99 today, as i've really enjoyed using my father's saw. I came here looking at the modifications that could be done and noticed the Ryobi 10532. I'm wondering if I should take the wild thing back and order the Ryobi... What's the general opinion here? Which saw is a better bang for the buck? I just need something for cleaning my yard up and the occasional use clearing hunting trails.

Thanks!

If you read about the Ryobi then you realize it may take a bit of tinkering to get it right. I think it's a better-built saw and worth the effort.

I think the Ryobi is much better. If that is the 40cc Ryobi, then I would put a 16" bar on it, richen carb settings some, best done with a tach, and run. Bet it will out cut all of those Crapsmans and Poopin' saws.

If you haven't run the Poulan yet, I guess you could take it back. The Ryobi is a better saw without a doubt. But you need two saws anyway. At LEAST two.:cheers:

Jack

Thanks guys. I haven't opened the wild thing box yet. It's still sitting in my car.

Is the construction that much better on the Ryobi than the Poulan? Could anybody list the advantages that the Ryobi has?

I guess I'll have to wait a while to cut up the downed tree in my fence line. I was looking forward to playing with my new toy tomorrow.

Only one saw for me. Even the one is questionable as I know plenty of people who I could borrow one from.

I wonder if they'll be popping up at 99.99 again or if the supply will dry up since home depot isn't selling them anymore.

Thanks guys. I haven't opened the wild thing box yet. It's still sitting in my car.

Is the construction that much better on the Ryobi than the Poulan? Could anybody list the advantages that the Ryobi has?

The WT pretty much has no anti vibration, and will make your hands go numb in no time. The Ryobi also has a metal vertically split case, the WT is pretty much a plastic saw. The Ryobi will also have more power as it's a RedMax design. The Ryobi is simply a better saw in every way.:cheers:

I guess I'll have to wait a while to cut up the downed tree in my fence line. I was looking forward to playing with my new toy tomorrow.

Only one saw for me. Even the one is questionable as I know plenty of people who I could borrow one from.

I wonder if they'll be popping up at 99.99 again or if the supply will dry up since home depot isn't selling them anymore.

I got one on ebay a while back for 40.00 + shipping. The Ryobi that is. Keep your eyes open.

Last edited:
The Ryobi sure has received a lot of positive feedback here on the boards. And the Wild Thing has received a lot of attention as well, but I wouldn't necessarily call it positive. If you still have the WT boxed up, give that Ryobi a shot!

I think the Ryobi is much better. If that is the 40cc Ryobi, then I would put a 16" bar on it, richen carb settings some, best done with a tach, and run. Bet it will out cut all of those Crapsmans and Poopin' saws.

+1, I opened the muffler up 1/2 ". It rides on my atv to keep our trails and lanes open. The fact that it starts is a plus over some of my Pull ons.

Don't know much about the ryobi saws but i got three poulans (bought two and had one given to me) they work great till you shut them off to have a break. Then they are hard as hell to start if you can even get them started. anyhow hope this is helpfull to ya.

I guess I'll have to wait a while to cut up the downed tree in my fence line. I was looking forward to playing with my new toy tomorrow
...I know plenty of people who I could borrow one from.
If you can borrow one then it seems you have time to return the WT and mess around for a Ryobi.
Then again, the WT was only $100 and you could probably sell it quick for $50 after you use it and then clean it up.

Well I just called the CPO Ryobi store and even though they're on their website they don't have any is stock. I see a few places selling them for around 150, but I'm not paying that for a reconditioned saw. I'll have to wait and see what I can find around here.

Does anybody know if home depot replaced this saw with one of their new homelite models? One search turned up a homelite with the same model number but nothing really cam up on the HD website.

Homelite 10532 isn't the same saw.

One thing that a lot of these small saws share is that they're mostly plastic, and another is lack of a plated bore. These things are OK for the suburban homeowner who will use it a couple of times, then it sits in the basement, not to start easily again a year or two later...it goes in the dump, only having used 5% of its useable life.

The Ryobi has a plated bore and is well-made: the bar mount is metal and looks to be part of the engine crankcase; these design features are usually part of the higher-end saws like Stihl and Husqvarna's repoirtoire.

With good care, there's no reason the Ryobi wouldn't hold up as well as a Stihl or Husky costing twice as much. Because dealer support is non-existant, one would probably have to have a good realtionship with a good repair shop or be a home mechanic to get the most value from that saw. If a user just wants to use it until used up, then get a new one, the wild thing is the best choice.

Niether one will hold up more than 2 or 3 years without any TLC.

Soon the Ryobi will be very hard to find, IMO; there have been a lot of references to it as a real sleeper on the internet, and Ryobi doesn't put it together anymore.

Just and update. After finding a couple Ryobi saws on craigslist but having no luck convincing the sellers to ship to me, getting outbid on a redmax gz4000 (somebody got a deal it went for 120 shipped), watching auctions for ryobi saws ending at $140 for a used one, and not having much luck finding the reconditioned ryobi saw in stock, I finally picked up a lightly used Ryobi saw with case on ebay for buy it now for 89 dollars after cashback. Auction Link I have a two pack of Oregon chains yet from the Poulan, so as soon as it comes I'll be good to go.

I don't think I'll be putting a 16" bar on.

Does anybody have anything they recommend me to check on the saw when it comes?

Hey it's been a long time since you choose the Ryobi. If you still keep in touch please update us. I'm wondering if the Box store 37cc Ryobi is any good. Thanks.

The Ryobi I purchased is still running. It's an okay saw. The only thing I don't like about it is it's a bit finicky with the fuel level. Even after shortening the line and weighting the filter it still has issues sucking air into the line once you get to half a tank. Combine that with such a small fuel tank it's not fun to use for larger projects. At some point I'll try putting a more flexible line in along with a heavier filter to see if that helps.

I think the new Ryobi's are made by the same company in China, but they deleted all the strato parts and neutered the saws a bit. I can't confirm that though. The new ones are not the same as the model I posted about.

My most enjoyable small saw is a Husqvarna 445. Yeah it's a clamshell design, but it starts super easy, runs well with more power than they ryobi, and it has a nice large fuel tank with a fuel level sight window. It seems like I'll be working on a tree and think to myself I must be out of gas and take a peak and the tank is still half full. More cutting, less time farting around. Northern tool has the slightly smaller 440 model on sale as a factory refurb.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200620291_200620291
Use coupon code 269012 to get another $20 off. I ordered one yesterday for my old man as he loves running my little husky. He hates the Ryobi, but I think most of that is just because it's so ugly and it's a Ryobi.

That puts you at $159 which I think is the ballpark of what they're asking for Ryobi's these days. I'd go with the 440 if you're looking for a "new" saw.

Back