Ryobi Chainsaw Recoil Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turd Furgeson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I broke out the cheapo ryobi this spring and the pull cord was extremely hard to pull. It started on the second pull and ran with no issues so i knew the problem was with the recoil. I pulled the recoil cover off and found one of the dogs mounted to the flywheel that are spring loaded and catch the recoil were bent. I did a search online and found one other guy had a the same problem, he ordered new ones and they bent so he filled the bend with brazing rod. I have some JB weld that i was thinking of trying but don't I risk throwing off the balance by adding weight to the flywheel assembly. Any thoughts?

Any other ideas? Should I order redmax dogs and hope they're made out of better steel?

Thanks,

TF

As long as it's symmetrical as possible, I don't think it would be a problem. Just make sure the surface of the dogs where you're going to put JB weld on is perfectly clean.

I'd braze them like he did for better strength vs. JB Weld. Wouldn't be hard to balance the two dogs with a scale and file one until they match in weight.

I figured i'd dig up this thread. I took my saw apart to do a muffler mod last night. One of the starter pawls is completely bent over. The other one seems to be holding up. I had bent the bad one back to the same angle as the good one after I put this thread up and used a little jb weld. The jb weld came off the one that bent over.

Has anybody else had these issues with their ryboi, craftsman, or redmax?

I'm debating if I should order the ryobi parts or try to get some japanese craftsman/redmax parts to repair it. I think either way I would put a some weld behind the pawls before I put it on the saw to reinforce them.

I figured i'd dig up this thread. I took my saw apart to do a muffler mod last night. One of the starter pawls is completely bent over. The other one seems to be holding up. I had bent the bad one back to the same angle as the good one after I put this thread up and used a little jb weld. The jb weld came off the one that bent over.

Has anybody else had these issues with their ryboi, craftsman, or redmax?

I'm debating if I should order the ryobi parts or try to get some japanese craftsman/redmax parts to repair it. I think either way I would put a some weld behind the pawls before I put it on the saw to reinforce them.

I have a bunch of cats, but have never seen a turd dig itself up before!!!!

I have had a few unruly ones after Tequila Tuesdays........

If you're going to replace them anyway, find out if the arms are easy to bend with a vise and some pliers. If they are, you might try hardening them. Heat 'em red hot, dunk in oil, then re-heat till they just barely start to turn red (veeeery dark blood red). Then let air cool. Might toughen them up a bit.

Does it look like this?

attachment.php

This is my McCulloch MS4018, a Jenn Feng clone of the GZ4000. I have not found them to be weak, but maybe in time. My Earthquake CS3116 is basically the same design, and it has a fairly high compression and pulls pretty hard. Could there be something else that is causing it?

Back