Saddles/Harnesses: What are you climbing in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, since the search feature is not working worth a darn anymore and I cannot seem to pull up any of the old discussions I figured I would try to start another discussion on saddles/harnesses.

My poor old Petzl is starting to show signs of wear and tear. It's been a good saddle and has made me lots of money but I am thinking of looking in another direction this time.

Two things I am not particularly crazy about in that saddle is that it is a step through and I'm not really crazy about the rope bridge I had to make for it.

I am thinking of going back to a more old school saddle with 4 large D's. A bosun seat is a must for me as I don't like to have my bits and pieces mashed all day... I guess I just climbed so long in an old school saddle that it's hard to get used to anything else. I would also like to have the option of using suspenders for the times I need to carry the big saw up with me... Any suggestions???

You can talk about any saddle/harness you want here and tell us why you like it. I promise not to bite your head off for liking whatever you like.

Open topic guys...

I've been using a Weaver Cougar for a while now with the leg loops. Just ordered the rigid batten seat because I figured that I would give it a try. I do hate having to step into and out of the saddle. My old wide back double D Weaver was much easier to get off and on. I do like the rope bridge which I use with a swivel.

The new Edge harness from Sherrill tree looks nice.

Edge

Yea, I was just looking the Edge over on the Sherrill website. Looks similar to the Treemotion.

I am also looking over the Buckingham Pinnacle deluxe. Looks like a nice comfy saddle.

I kind of have a love hate relationship with the rope bridge. It's great when you need a lot of mobility but can be a ##### to hold yourself stationary sometimes when you are in a funky position trying to make a critical cut.

How long you use your sequoia MD? I have one and I like it alot. I have been using it about 3 years. I havnt noticed any excessive wear. No falls in it. Is there a recommended replace meant point? Or just use common sense? I am thinking I would buy another. I am on my second bridge.

I am actually using the first version of the Navaho called the Mini Boss (which more resembles the Sequoia Swing). I got mine in either 08 or 09, can't remember. It's 2 or 3 years old. It's been a great saddle. Very comfortable. Love the stiff batten seat. It's just showing sings of wear and tear and I feel it's getting time to replace it. I could replace the bridge and the rubber deals that came off which keep the leg straps from slipping and use the thing for another couple of years but I am ready to move on to another saddle.

Yea, I was just looking the Edge over on the Sherrill website. Looks similar to the Treemotion.

I am also looking over the Buckingham Pinnacle deluxe. Looks like a nice comfy saddle.

I kind of have a love hate relationship with the rope bridge. It's great when you need a lot of mobility but can be a ##### to hold yourself stationary sometimes when you are in a funky position trying to make a critical cut.

I was looking at both of them as well! I don't need one, but tempting! Just made a big order from Sherrill's last night including Pfanner Gladiator pants! We've had a good week......a treat I guess you can call it! I hear you about the bridge, I have been using the Master deluxe the last 3 years, I have adjusted the straps so I don't get the jewels pinched. I like it a lot, a lot of attachment points, comfortable either using ropes or spurs.

I bought an Ergovation this spring and I've been happy with it. It's got enough adjustments to get a good balance point between the leg straps and the belt. It's also the first saddle I've been able to wear without suspenders. It's heavier than my Dragonfly but I'm pleased so far.
Phil

I ordered "the Edge" from sherrill, throu the local Vermeer shop last week. It should be here soon. I retired my Couger after the second recall. It was a nice belt. I've been using my old floating D saddle and it sucks at SRT and feels bulky after my Couger. I have high expatiation of the Edge. I let you all know after I test drive it. beastmaster

I've been using the Tree Austria 3 and LOVE it. I had the Tree Austria Duo before that and it was nice, but the 3 is head n shoulders above. I dig it muchly

Latest posts

Back