Safe Distance to Air Spade for Root Pruning Virginiana Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello again -- I hope it's alright that I'm starting a separate thread.

What would be considered a safe distance to root prune a 27" DBH Virginiana Oak using air spading? Is any distance safe? Another possible option to consider for my tree/driveway conflict would be to fully replace the damaged section of the driveway, and to simultaneously air spade and root prune to prevent the problem from happening again.

I have called a few concrete companies who think that grinding down the concrete to its original level and doing patch work or repaving would weaken the affected slab overall. (My driveway is in three sections.) As the tree roots grew larger, the damage would happen again and more quickly, and be more damaging than before, of course.

Also, does root pruning an older tree create less risk for possible instability/health issues later on? Since the roots are presumably stronger and deeper, does this help? Would it be better to wait until the tree is larger, say closer to grand oak status, to root prune, if at all?

Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

DRA, If you replace the affected slab be sure not to let the concrete guys so the pruning. I'll let someone else have a turn to weigh in on the rest of your questions.

PS I think those companies are eager to sell you a new driveway....grinding the small amount of damage you have should be no issue at all. Also the airspade is only used to expose the roots, it doesn't actually do the cutting.

Agreed. :) One company said they work with an arborist to make the proper cuts. And I know about the air spading. I just have my words mixed up today.

Air spading would help in selecting the roots to be pruned, but what's a safe distance? With the slab removed, there's more distance to consider for root pruning. Is it better to root prune when the tree's older?

Thanks to anyone reading. :)

Agreed. :) One company said they work with an arborist to make the proper cuts. And I know about the air spading. I just have my words mixed up today.

Air spading would help in selecting the roots to be pruned, but what's a safe distance? With the slab removed, there's more distance to consider for root pruning. Is it better to root prune when the tree's older?

Thanks to anyone reading. :)

Generally it's always better to make cuts on a younger tree. I'd like to see what others have to offer about the best distance. My thoughts are, as far away from the trunk while still accomplishing your goal.

i've heard from 6x trunk diameter to 15x.

Can you live with cracks in your driveway? do they really affect your quality of life? Can you post a picture of this perceived problem?

Hi treeseer. The pics are on my other thread about live oak/driveway/Biobarriers. I can live with the current damage and even more as the tree becomes grand, but I doubt the HOA can live with it. We have some pretty serious deed restrictions. I once received a violation for having too many leaves on my driveway after the tree had an unexplainable and sudden "shake" and a load of leaves fell within about 24 hours; pic was included. The tree did this two years in a row. No arborist could explain it. A tree is a tree I guess. :)

Agreed. :) One company said they work with an arborist to make the proper cuts. .....
If you are doing that, YOU hire the arborist...don't let them. If they hire the arborist, they are the paying client. If you hire the arborist, you are the client and your interests are the primary concern.

Latest posts

Back