Safest Method of Entry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safest Method of Entry

• Bodythrusting

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Footlocking

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Spurs

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • Ascenders

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Crane

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Ladder

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Trampoline

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
treeseer said:
Well dang. I started this poll cuz clearance stated spurs were safest, while I am sure they are not.
Yes I had posted some very crude thoughts but they were removed and I was warned, but I do agree with you.

I am not going to gloat, each to his/her own, whatever makes you happy I guess. I forgive you Climb 020, its all good.

I voted for the crane. But if you lump bodythrust, footlock, and ascenders into one catagory vs spurs, Then the poll would be a dead heat. Spurs have been trailing.

laws are ment 2 b broken

but i always follow the rules. if i cant ride the ball in not using the crane. thats just another stupid law so the man can pinch more money out of the working class people. the rich get richer and the poor keep working:angry: o and by the way i think the poll on the sub stinks but my vote was a crane. i never prune w spikes. is tree work safe? why isnt throw ball on the list:confused:

Last edited:
treeco, mikeM, you both are right of course. anyone that can't use a ladder properly has no business climbing a tree.

I use one all the time, but rope up before climbing. strange I'll climb a ladder to a roof without a thought.

guess it's from being ingrained not to be up in a tree without being roped in.

I voted bodythrust also simply to satisfy 'the safest method' I am assuming this means secured bodythrust, pull- up - slide knot-pull-up slide ect. At least with this method if you let go of the rope or fall you are still tied in.
Spikes can be safe but it depends on if the user is secured to the tree and how. Simply throwing a flipline around the tree and gaffing up does not satify the 'safest method test.' I also use ladders frequently, but I have a heavy duty fiberglass model, much more stable than the cheap aluminium yard sale special. Never tried a trampoline, I will wait to see a demo on that method first. :)

046 said:
treeco, mikeM, you both are right of course. anyone that can't use a ladder properly has no business climbing a tree.

I feel the same way about spurs. they are a part of our equipment, and if a climber can't strap on a set and get his butt up a tree, he's missing some training somewhere, the same if he can't tie his friction hitch, or can't tie a running bowline, or properly use a ladder.
If you're kicking out, or hanging upside down, trust me, it isn't the spur's fault. it's either the operator, or the operator's lack of proper maintenance.

I like your little insinuation, Guy, that if someone is proficient on spurs,they are in the low end of the pool, haphazardly committing arboricide judiciously killing innocent trees for penance. You asked for the safest way. imo, that is spurs. spurs are not the only way up, but how is it any less safe? On spurs, you are always tied in as well. I know guys who use 2 buckstraps, I, otoh, prefer to use my rope and lanyard. JMNSHO also.
-Ralph

Mike Maas said:
Scary, I hope you didn't get seriously injured.
What caused the failure?

cheap import ladder, poorly made (thin rivets) and too light for intended use. (load rating and height were mislabelled).

and as for this diatribe that many are going on about (if you cant use a ladder you have no busines being in a tree), all i have to say to that is:

WHAT A PILE OF THE PROVERBIAL STEAMING BOVINE WASTE MATTER!

i guess i have no business being in a tree - I dont even own a ladder :bang:

i guess i have no business being in a tree - I dont use a ladder :bang:

I guess I have no business being in a tree - I choose not to use a ladder :bang:

I guess i have no business being in a tree - I dont need a ladder :bang:

I guess i have no business being in a tree, yup, no ladder here :bang:

well, i best gather up all my equipment, throw it out on the curb, because after all, i dont own or use a ladder, so my skills as a chainsaw operator & tree climber are no longer valid, BECAUSE I DONT OWN OR USE A :censored: LADDER :bang:

see above mention about bull:censored:

my new motto will be "This is my ladder! There are many like it, but this one is mine! My ladder is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, like I master my life. Without me, my ladder is useless. Without my ladder, I am useless. I must set up my ladder true! I must climb higher than my enemy who is trying to outperform me. I must use my ladder like him before he outbids me! I will! Before God, I swear this creed...My ladder and myself are defenders of my skills. We are the masters of our trade. We are the saviors of my life! So be it! Until there is no enemy! But Peace! And that!
Drill Instructor: (Gives command to pull down ladder) AT EASE! Good night, Ladies! "

SIR YES SIR!

begleytree said:
I like your little insinuation, Guy, that if someone is proficient on spurs,they are in the low end of the pool,
Ralph, the insinuation was so little, it was nonexistent. I did not imply that at all. :taped: I agree they are essential tools for an arborist to master. Emergencies sometimes require that they be used. I carry a set with me all the time. Fiberglass and velcro, very comfy.

"if you lump bodythrust, footlock, and ascenders into one catagory vs spurs, Then the poll would be a dead heat. Spurs have been trailing."

Good point, woodchux.
And one other thing is for certain--spurs are the hardest on most human bodies (and all trees). Many climbers get bad hips and lower back from them. You can glide on ascenders 20 years after the average age a climber limited to spiking has to quit, no longer able to climb and tragically limited in other hip movements too. :eek:

As clearance says, "each to his/her own, whatever makes you happy"

Regarding spurs being hard on people, hmmm, and this rope humping way isn't? Hasn't been? C'mon. Ladders, never used one on a tree, ever, thousands of trees later. I have used a variety of ladders in construction. I guess the difference being is that in construction ladders are usually placed against something solid. They are usually placed on something solid as well, ie. concrete, level wood floors. As opposed to being placed against something that can sway in the wind, move from the force of a man climbing the ladder, might be slimy and slippery. And placed on something often less than solid, uneven ground, snow, mud, etc. Many old guys still climbing, on spurs, that started before spurs became the bogeyman. Yes spurs are harder on the tree, no doubt. But my first concern is never the tree.

Certainly...spikes aren't the safest for the trees for cryin' out loud!

The best way to answer this question is to define the terms a bit better. There are many aspects of safety when ascending.

In the long term, all things considered, using some form of SRT is the safest option. This would especially be true if the SRT system had a belay/lowering system built in like the one I designed.

When I posted my vote I found the results very insightful...1/3 of the replies voed spiking as the safest. Is there any bias there?

When it comes to the safest method, I think a combination of body thrust and spikes is as safe as you can get.

Installing a rope in the tree, (as if you were going to body thrust) and strapping on the spikes and flipline, allows the climber to stand and climb on the spikes, and (w/ slack tender) keep his climbing line tight, so even if he does gaff out, he could only slip a foot or two. Also allows instant descent. In my opinion this is the safest. Downsides, slower, only available on removals, and takes more prep time than just spiking up, or just roping the tree and body thrusting.

I think most people (who use both methods) feel comfortable and safe using either method alone, but the combination allows nearly total safety unless the tree were to fail.

I've used ladders 2 times to enter trees. Maybe .5-1% of the time, using the ladder seems the most efficient way to enter the tree, just depends on the circumstances. I really would prefer to NOT be on a ladder, even though I feel fairly safe and comfortable on one. Climbing up one is very fast and easy, its the transition from ladder to tree that I don't like. Starting out tied in would cure that I'm sure, but packing around a big ole ladder is a chore I don't need.

clearance said:
I have used a variety of ladders in construction. I guess the difference being is that in construction ladders are usually placed against something solid. They are usually placed on something solid as well, ie. concrete, level wood floors. As opposed to being placed against something that can sway in the wind, move from the force of a man climbing the ladder, might be slimy and slippery. And placed on something often less than solid, uneven ground, snow, mud, etc.
Ha, ha. Might as well give it up clearance. I tried arguing this point on another thread awhile back. Was basically told that anyone who won't climb a ladder should not be climbing trees and that a ladder was perfectly safe as long as someone was steadying it. My problem with this is that I weigh alot more than my groundies. So if my 275 lbs is 25 feet up on a ladder and it starts to slip, can my 140 lb groundie hold it? Things could get ugly-like me squashing a groundie.:biggrinbounce2:

Good thread, good posts. Throwball and ladder must be safe as any. Ladders have "dogs" that dig into dirt, ice, whatever, and hold much better than a smooth floor. If a tree is swaying so much that the trunk at thirty two or forty feet is moving that much, I don't think any method is safe. I have used ladders on close to fifteen thousand trees, and I've never even had a close call. Many of my jobs are all of the trees at a particular residence, so lugging it is not that bad. I provide quality residential work here in a rural area, when nine out of ten residential tree services do not have ladders, and do substandard work.

I frequently use a ladder for access, never had an incident while entering the tree. I have had a couple of close calls trying to trim limbs while still standing on the ladder. Now i only use one for entering the tree.

Mike Maas said:
Ladders are tools. If you don't know how to properly use any tool it can be dangerous. For those of you doing residential tree work, how do you get on the roof to clean up after a big removal? SRT? Spike? LOL!

Lol Mike you crack me up,

Myself I use a combination of nearly all mentioned - They all have their place in where they need to be used.

I use a ladder for about 95% of my palm cleans while harnessed and tied into the palm.
I don't really body thrust for tree trims but trunk walk as it takes less energy.
I also use ascenders in some situations where the customer changes their mind and i've gotta go back up and finish it to use even less energy.

All have their places in the industry and are safe depending on how good the operator is. Myself I voted the crane, although illegal it is by far the most safest. Think about it, you climb the trees with ropes n spurs, that are attached to the tree, if that tree fails what's to save ya ass? The tree has the power over you - Where as with the crane you have the power over the tree.

Just my thoughts and inputs on the subject,
Have a good one' all.

Back