Safety Courses in Southeast TX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCS99no1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a good chainsaw safety class in southeast Texas (Houston/Beaumont area)? I e-mailed the forestry department at Texas A&M University and they didn't offer any. I live in Houston and haven't been able to find anything yet. I'd be willing to go as far as San Antonio for good chainsaw training, but I hope I can find something closer.

Thanks,
Joel

Contact the Texas Forest Service. They give periodic chainsaw use and safety classes to Fire Departments, including Voluntary Fire Departments and the Nature Conservancy out in West Texas. So give them a call and ask to be included in one of their classes.

Howdy, Joel. Weather has been great, but we sure could use some rain. Have you tried Stephen F. Austin Univ in Lufkin? Quite a few months back I googled chainsaw training texas, and the closest I found was a private company offering arborist training in Dallas. If you find something please post it!

Aw ra best! Chris

TAMU and Tx Forest Service are one in the same or at least joined at the hip. I emailed TFS on this a while back and after a decent amount of run around I got sent to a website to buy tapes. Wasn't impressed with the response I got.

I looked around at SFASU's site but didn't find what I was looking for (it may be there but I couldn't find it).

I Don't but I'm an NPTC Certified Arborist from the U.K relocating to Houston in May. When I'm up and running I'll be looking for help. What's your experience?

I've been quite suprised to find out that Texas seems to be lacking in terms of qualified personal, and options for training.

TreeTopKid said:
I Don't but I'm an NPTC Certified Arborist from the U.K relocating to Houston in May. When I'm up and running I'll be looking for help. What's your experience?

I've been quite suprised to find out that Texas seems to be lacking in terms of qualified personal, and options for training.

If you've never been here, I really hope that that's the least of your surprises.

I'm a couple of hours south of Houston and these people's idea of an arborist is an otherwise unemployable individual with a Wild Thing and an old Datsun pickup. The idea is that he collects his payment in advance and disappears after completing half the job.

But then again, Texas is a lot of different places. Even Houston is probably a lot of different places.

Houston for real? The odd person from Katy or Sugarland or Channelview might say that they are in Houston.

(edit to say that to hope that that's the least of your surprises doesn't really make sense; in any case, I'm sure you know what you're doing and I hope it all works out well)

SmithEC said:
If you've never been here, I really hope that that's the least of your surprises.

I'm a couple of hours south of Houston and these people's idea of an arborist is an otherwise unemployable individual with a Wild Thing and an old Datsun pickup. The idea is that he collects his payment in advance and disappears after completing half the job.

But then again, Texas is a lot of different places. Even Houston is probably a lot of different places.

Houston for real? The odd person from Katy or Sugarland or Channelview might say that they are in Houston.

(edit to say that to hope that that's the least of your surprises doesn't really make sense; in any case, I'm sure you know what you're doing and I hope it all works out well)

Yeah Houston for real, and you're right also about the odd person too because its actually Spring Texas I'm moving to! It will be interesting to see if I can find some well paid work! Hopefully I shall but even if I don't Im still looking forward to it Englands just too wet, and cold for me. Bring on the Tex-Mex.:)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I can try calling the Stephen F. Austin forestry department...but then they might all be gone for winter break now.

Joel

Last edited:
WCS99no1 said:
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I can try calling the Stephen F. Austin forestry department...but then they might all be gone for winter break now.

Joel

Arbormaster do training courses at College Station, or at least they used to because my Colleague did one in 2000. (I'm now living and working in Houston btw. My original reply was months ago, and was still in the UK!). I also know that the ISA Texas chapter do pretty regular Certified Arborist examinations at Round Rock. I hope this helps.

Have a great Christmas.

TreeTopKid said:
Arbormaster do training courses at College Station, or at least they used to because my Colleague did one in 2000. (I'm now living and working in Houston btw. My original reply was months ago, and was still in the UK!). I also know that the ISA Texas chapter do pretty regular Certified Arborist examinations at Round Rock. I hope this helps.

Have a great Christmas.

Hello Tree topkid how long have you been in Spring??? do you like the weather so far???? how is the work holding out for you good I hope??? thanks for the update....

Merry Christmas

RiverRat2 said:
Hello Tree topkid how long have you been in Spring??? do you like the weather so far???? how is the work holding out for you good I hope??? thanks for the update....

Merry Christmas

I arrived in Spring in May, I've been very blessed workwise and have a good job, and I'm currently in the process of getting my business up and running. It's looking good for early in the New Year.

The weather took some getting used to I've got to say, there was a point at the end of August when I was Deadwooding a large Water Oak when the sweat was leaving me faster than I could drink the water! It was quite reassuring to see my colleague in the neighbouring tree who's native these parts was suffering just as much. It took about an hour to cool down after I left the tree! Everythings going really well though I've met some good people, and I'm enjoying work.

There's a lot of people care about there trees here which is good to see, as I'd been mis-informed otherwise. Most notably with regards to fertilazation getting people in the UK to part with their hard earned cash to fertilize a tree is much harder.

Good to speak with you. ~Have a Happy, and prosperous New Year!

Latest posts

Back