Safety Glasses while running your log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I work outside most of the day. My normal gear is gloves, safety glasses tinted or clear, steel toe boots and hearing protection as needed. Many years ago I was reattaching a loose steel panel on a barn. I was not wearing glasses. I was nailing the panel and looking up. A sliver of metal came off and hit me right in the eye. It was a Sunday but the eye doctor ageed to meet me at his office where he removed the piece. Since that time glasses is a must have safety equipment. I have about a dozen of then. I keep some in my vehicles and all over the shop, easily accessible.

Yes, I wear glasses while cutting and splitting. Although all of my splitting is done by hand there's still a risk of something shooting at your face. Hearing protection comes off for splitting unless Im beating wedges. Smacking steel wedges can be hell on ears. If anyone is having fog issues in their glasses I recommend useing some cat crap.

No, I've tried and they either fog up or sweat drips off my forehead and down them which becomes very annoying. I do much of my splitting in the summer heat.

I wear my Husqvarna helmet with screen and muffs. I sweat too much for safety glasses, they fog up. save my eyes and ears at the same time.

Sounds like you have the problem taken care of with the helmet/screen combo, but if you are ever looking to just wear eye protection without the helmet you might look into a pair of these [Crossfire 19218 Safety Glasses] on your preferred friendly online marketplace. I can't wear glasses longer than 10 seconds without fogging them up, but I got a pair a few weeks ago and they work pretty well. Only cost me $8, too. Just trying to help a brother out. @Brushwacker and @jrider , you guys might want to check them out too.

Sounds like you have the problem taken care of with the helmet/screen combo, but if you are ever looking to just wear eye protection without the helmet you might look into a pair of these [Crossfire 19218 Safety Glasses] on your preferred friendly online marketplace. I can't wear glasses longer than 10 seconds without fogging them up, but I got a pair a few weeks ago and they work pretty well. Only cost me $8, too. Just trying to help a brother out. @Brushwacker and @jrider , you guys might want to check them out too.
I appreciate the information. I would like to hear more from you once you wear them when it's warm out.

I always wear glasses and hearing protection, I've been an Ironworker gor over 20 years and have been to the eye doctor probably close to 15 times, maybe more and had stuff drilled out probably half of the time maybe more. Oh and my wife refers to me as deafie.

I think most folks don't realize how loud an engine powered splitter can be. The hydraulic pump makes more noise than the engine. So, I always wear hearing protection AND eye protection when splitting. After having a block of wood "pop" sending a piece of wood into my eye, I realized splitting is more dangerous to the eyes that sawing. So now I always put the glasses on when splitting! I was lucky...no injury, but it could have been really bad!

One of our largest accounts is an industrial metal mill and they are very safety conscious, we have to eye protection to walk into their break room or even to bathroom. I have to admit it first it was a PITA, seemed non needed, but 6 years later we all seem to wear our safety glasses all the time wether in our shop fabricating, working on equipment, any power equipment usage and splitting or moving wood.

I appreciate the information. I would like to hear more from you once you wear them when it's warm out.

I wore them while running a splitter for almost 5 hours last week when it was about 55 degrees here... I was sweating as much then as I would in July or August. No issues to speak of other than some real stringy wood and a severe lack of beverages.

A head band take care of the sweat and keeps it off the glasses. All you guys with the fog issue need to check out cat crap in the video I posted above.

Unless it's sunny out and I have sunglasses out I don't, but should. With the newer engines being much quieter than the old Briggs or Tecumseh at full bore, I don't normally put anything in my ears unless I'm listening to music.

Latest posts

Back