safety video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixie1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
can anyone suggest a good basic chainsaw safety video or possibly a tree felling video with basic cuts? where i work we wouldn't ever do any fancy cutting (climbing) or removal of large trees, we sub that out, but we will occasionally do a removal on our campus if the tree isn't too large. i was observing a worker cut down a small 8" diameter 20 foot tall siberian elm and it scared me to death. no offense men, but he is a man i am a young female telling him how he should be taking the tree down, it didn't go over too well. he hadn't even heard of a face notch or anything like that. he was using the saw by completely circling the tree, if it fell too soon, he wouldn't of had a clue as to which way it fell. he also didn't know what the "no contact zone" was! maybe if he watches a man on a video, he will be more receptive. on the second tree, he sort of did what i described and it worked much better and fell the way i said it would, he said it was luck and that was the way the wind was blowing. :bang:

personally i would REFUSE to let him do that job...too much LIABILITY for YOU

not for me i am not his supervisor. we are co-workers and i being the certified arborist (who by the way is terrified of a chainsaw) was making suggestions. but yes, a definite liabilty for the university we work at or our supervisor.

I am sure there are ISA videos available but if you want free info to share check out the links. They are from TreeSpyders page and very informative.

http://www.mytreelessons.com/Drawings%20Archive-Hinge%20Thoughts.htm

http://www.mytreelessons.com/

The first link is what I think you are looking for and the second is just the main home page if you want to book mark it. But soory to hear it is hard to get guys to listen to what you have to say Dixie. To me, man or women, if they have something to say that will teach me something and prevent me from possible injury I'd listen. Tell him to suck it up. ;)

Dixie1,

Keep that fool away from standing trees until he knows what he is doing!

As I mentioned in another thread, Husky made a video about chainsaw safety, maintenance and tree felling. Sorry, I don't know the name of it but I think Bailey's sells it in there catalog. Buy it and make this guy watch it a few times. Then have him practice the techniques! Its well worth the investment of a few bucks!

Don't let this guys EGO get in the way of safety!!! HC

Dixie1

This is a scaned picture of that video. I got mine from Sherrill some time ago. Its item #16233, called "Sensible Wood Cutting" and sells for $9.00!

Hope it helps out your co-worker. HC

Last edited:
Dixie1 said:
not for me i am not his supervisor. we are co-workers and i being the certified arborist (who by the way is terrified of a chainsaw) was making suggestions. but yes, a definite liabilty for the university we work at or our supervisor.
Dixie, I respect your honesty and your care for this man. I take it you are ISA certified? Many times ISA certified morons have asked me to climb stone cold dead trees, made stupid decisions that still endanger people, I could go on and on..... You are an arborist that deserves much credit, good for you. Anyways, keep this man away from chainsaws, go over his head to a superior, using words like "liability, blood, crushed by tree, bad publicity"

clearance said:
Dixie, I respect your honesty and your care for this man. I take it you are ISA certified? Many times ISA certified morons have asked me to climb stone cold dead trees, made stupid decisions that still endanger people, I could go on and on..... You are an arborist that deserves much credit, good for you. Anyways, keep this man away from chainsaws, go over his head to a superior, using words like "liability, blood, crushed by tree, bad publicity"

:hmm3grin2orange: You have such a way with words!

Latest posts

Back