Salvaged an old pine log and it is sweet!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddredgergold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Took a motorcycle ride to the log jam outside town. You can cut fire wood at the spot but there is some big logs left over that the normal chainsaw owner cannot cut. They push them into piles and burn it all off. But the big logs do not burn well and I got there to late this year to check on them before the burn. I arrived and the smoke was still trickling from the piles. I wondered around and most of the logs where destroyed beyond use. Bit I can across this log that refused to burn and just had some light damage on the outside. These are all very old growth logs that have spent the last 40 years under water. No bark just solid tight ring logs. I went back the next weekend that was this last Saturday and loaded the log. The today my son and I cut that bad boy some with the Alaskan mill. It is awesome inside. Purple colors and some blue stain. But clean tight grain wood that is amazing. The saws are 895 Mcculloch for regular cutting and the Super Mcculloch 105 is on the mill frame. Great old saws! Enjoy the pictures. I am cutting them into 3.5" thick counter or bar tops.

Wonderful find! A shame that they pile those logs up & burn them. One photo seems to show some ring shake. Was the wood pretty solid? Looks like you got some nice, smooth cuts. Anyone who can spend that much time on the end of a chain saw & still be smiling is a real sawyer!

Damn...nice log find. That is some SERIOUS old growth right there...those rings are TIGHT.
Not the strongest, but certainly some of the prettiest!

Latest posts

Back