Same tree species, different results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
While splitting wood today, I realized that I have gotten varying results with the same tree species over the years but different trees. What I mean is, most Black Walnut that I've ever had is so-so, kind of chars more than burns well. But this past Winter I had some Walnut that really rocked-it really threw the heat and burned nice and hot. I remembered it today as I split some more of that same tree that I had stored in rounds, so I was pleasantly suprised with it. It seemed more "solid" if that makes any sense. On the other hand, I have had Black Locust in the past that rocked, but some Black Locust this past season was suprisingly disappointing. All of the wood was garage kept and seasoned and dry, so they were constant with each other as far as time and seasoning went. Anyone else ever notice this?

While splitting wood today, I realized that I have gotten varying results with the same tree species over the years but different trees. What I mean is, most Black Walnut that I've ever had is so-so, kind of chars more than burns well. But this past Winter I had some Walnut that really rocked-it really threw the heat and burned nice and hot. I remembered it today as I split some more of that same tree that I had stored in rounds, so I was pleasantly suprised with it. It seemed more "solid" if that makes any sense. On the other hand, I have had Black Locust in the past that rocked, but some Black Locust this past season was suprisingly disappointing. All of the wood was garage kept and seasoned and dry, so they were constant with each other as far as time and seasoning went. Anyone else ever notice this?

Yep!!!
Red Oak that "woofed" like seasoned Cherry.

Just one batch amid a bunch of Maple, and I remember the tree.
It's not even seasoned two years... Maybe 14 Mos.

I had to double check to make sure it wasn't Sassafrass LOL!!
Maybe one of the crew spilled something on the stack last summer... dunno.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back