Santa brought me a Fiskars X27

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So Santa brought me a Fiskars x27 (I must have been good). The instructions said to put a little oil on it to keep it from rusting. I have read on here about keeping oil on it to make the coating last longer. I am wondering what type of oil? WD 40? Motor oil? Bar oil? What would be best?

I use whatever is handy in a spray can, varies, and I *wish* I had started doing that before the teflon wore off.

Or I guess any of the dregs from truck oil jugs, bar oil, whatever, just slippery stuff.

Keeps the coating there, plus stops tree sap from sticking on.

The idea of using wax, maybe like ski wax? That just sounds like it has some merit to it.

I always thought this was funny, and is just a coincidence. But it might work just great, who knows!

http://www.sexwax.com/

Split about 15 cords of hardwoods and never applied anything to the axe head. I am careful about touching the ground with the head though. Love this tool.

I really like my x27, I use it almost daily this time of year. I have never oiled it, I guess I didn't read the instructions. The thought of reading instructions on an axe just never even occured to me. Not to change the subject but has any one used a Channel lock brand splitting axe? I just saw one for the first time the other day at a local hardware store and thought it looked pretty decent. Anyway enjoy your new gift.

Love my X27. Once you use it, you won't want to stop splitting. I have a a channel lock splitting maul, it's heavy and not near as effective as the X27. I only use it occasionally on really nasty pieces. Otherwise its the X27

how are these x27's? seems they have a synthetic handle on them looking at pics. i've heard alot about these axes being great but have never tried one. i've used many axes with synthetic handles and didn't like the flex. i'm really addicted to a good 4.5 pound head on a wood handle. really makes splitting easy.

You guys are forgetting, it is a TOOL! Only way to keep it from getting scuffed is to not use the dang thing. Make it a shelf queen!

Ted

The teflon and the lube just helps with both splitting ease and sticking in the wood, it isn't for appearance.

Just ordered my x27 today. I've been using a Lundell splitting axe I got from HD about 10 years ago. It splits the 12 inch or smaller stuff great, but anything bigger it takes alot of effort. Looking forward to trying out the fiskars.

With use the Teflon is going to wear off.

I had mine rust once when I forgot about it and it was wet when I brought it in. Used a little more and the rust was gone. Any oil is fine, 30# rubbed on seems to stack better.

BTW, the $10 Fiskars sharpener works good for keep the edge up.

Just ordered my x27 today. I've been using a Lundell splitting axe I got from HD about 10 years ago. It splits the 12 inch or smaller stuff great, but anything bigger it takes alot of effort. Looking forward to trying out the fiskars.
IMHO... it is in the 12" or smaller where the X27 really shines. I use hydro or an 8 pounder on the bigger stuff, but I also cut my wood 20-24" long.

Keep the Teflon from wearing off????? Your wood must be much softer than mine 'cus my Teflon is long gone. I do keep it out of the dirt 'cus it chips easy.

That Fiskars sounds waaaaaaayyyyyyy too high maintenance for me! I had a woman like that once. Real nice to look at, but don't do anything with it, or you will pay! Now ya gotta buy a grooming kit just to keep it sharp. Now ya gotta buy some sort of mystery oil to convince it that it really is just an axe and still has to split wood. And worst of all, if you aren't really really really careful around it, it has NO problem removing one of your appendages! Yep! High maintenance woman you guys have there! Good luck with that!:eek:
I will gladly stick with my 3.5 pound splitting axe. It knows what it is: a friggen axe! Nothing more, nothing less. And I know it will split anything that fiskars will. And more!

Ted

p.s. dang, it's sooo much fun to harass the fiskars worshipers! hehheh

My fiskars brush axe rusts now that the Teflon is worn down. A couple whacks through a sapling fixes it right up. :)

That Fiskars sounds waaaaaaayyyyyyy too high maintenance for me! I had a woman like that once. Real nice to look at, but don't do anything with it, or you will pay! Now ya gotta buy a grooming kit just to keep it sharp. Now ya gotta buy some sort of mystery oil to convince it that it really is just an axe and still has to split wood. And worst of all, if you aren't really really really careful around it, it has NO problem removing one of your appendages! Yep! High maintenance woman you guys have there! Good luck with that!:eek:
I will gladly stick with my 3.5 pound splitting axe. It knows what it is: a friggen axe! Nothing more, nothing less. And I know it will split anything that fiskars will. And more!

Ted

p.s. dang, it's sooo much fun to harass the fiskars worshipers! hehheh

Not really, it's a steel tool used outside. A little oil and sharpening now and then is zero difference from any other axe. It does come with a teflon coating, and it doesn't hurt to start oiling it right from brand new. Same as any other brand new axe. Or not, it is not 100% necessary. You can let it get rusty or dull, same as any other axe.

Fiskars hits a nice price point between absolute bottom of the barrel and real expensive, same as saws, trucks, etc. There are asian, mexican, european, and USA made tools, fiskars is a relatively decent quality and affordable tool imported from europe. Certainly not as expensive as the other european examples, and only a bit more expensive over the cheapest asian and mexican ones. and a lot of us, not all, but a lot of us can make them work just dfine, and are a nice step up in most wood over what we were using before. I know whatever I can split with a 4.5 fiskars rather than grabbing my old 8lb maul makes my splitting work go much easier for me. Fiskars I can swing for hourrs, that old maul after quarter to half an hour..no mas!

It is what it is, I am not a 20 something at over 200 lbs, I am a 60 something at under 120. I have to use the lightest tool that accomplishes the task. Fiskars worked so amazingly well with me..I mean shoot, no contest over that old maul for the bulk of the wood I need to split, not all the wood, but the bulk.. I still use the maul, but only when absolutely necessary.

Same with saws, I have, for huskies, at the low end a 137, high end a 394xp..I am not using that 394 to do light weight sapling clearing...nor would I use that 137 to fell 3 ft plus trees, when I have the appropriate tool. Both require similar, not the same but similar, (largest difference is in length of chain to sharpen), care and maintenance though. The same as any axe requires similar maintenance.The 200 buck axes require light oiling and sharpening, AFAIK...same as a 20 buck axe...

Back