Santa brought me a Super Split HD!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikereynolds

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After I wore out and sent back 2 DR Rapidfires...
I went back to the rack & pinion splitter roots and called Paul at Super Split. Before I could tell him what my problems were with the "copy cats" of his J-model version, he told me. My first thought was to order the "special edition" model with 2:1 reduction but after a lengthy conversation about the volume and types of wood we split (in California), surprisingly Paul highley reccomended I go with the Heavy Duty model instead. I took his advise (which saved me a pile of $$$) and placed the order.
I've only had it up and running for 2 days but WOW BIG Improvement! I cannot compare apples to apples because the SS HD is heavier duty, larger flywheels and more expensive and more intended for commercial use than the DR. The only downside I see so far is, I am not in love with the pretty red fiberglas flywheel cover as I'm sure it will break when a flying round accidently hits it but it comes off for servicing easier than the DR. I wish it were made of sheet metal or aluminum.
Well time to quit goofing off on this site and head out to the back 40 to process 4-cord for delivery today. Using my new SS HD!

Congrats on a fine machine.

I'm not surprised at your findings! :msp_biggrin:

The fiberglass hood will take a lot of abuse, don't think you need to worry about that...

As mentioned in the "other" thread, after speaking with Paul and being told the same thing, I will be buying a H.D. unit as soon as funds allow. The I will set about fabricating a removable tongue hitch to attach it to my 4-wheeler for when I'm out cutting on various friend's ranches. Around the house it's not a concern as my ground is basically flat (Kansas and all), but all of the ranches/farms save 2, are in the flint hills with a variety of creeks, hollars and uneven terrain which would not be fun to manually move it across. Hell, after seeing Sunfish's J model in action, my Dad decided that he was going to go in on one with me as our Speeco has been a good unit, but the two are incomparable. I hope to see a video!

OK, here's a question; When I bought my SS J model 2.5 years ago the J and HD had the same size flywheels, 73 lbs or something like that. Paul said the only difference was more bearings on the ram and a larger engine at that time. Does the HD now have heavier flywheels?

OK, here's a question; When I bought my SS J model 2.5 years ago the J and HD had the same size flywheels, 73 lbs or something like that. Paul said the only difference was more bearings on the ram and a larger engine at that time. Does the HD now have heavier flywheels?

Unless I misunderstood him, I believe he said that the HD unit's flywheels were either 10 or 15lbs heavier. At full rpm, that would definitely be a bit more inertia...:rock:

Unless I misunderstood him, I believe he said that the HD unit's flywheels were either 10 or 15lbs heavier. At full rpm, that would definitely be a bit more inertia...:rock:

The HD is only 15 lbs heavier than J, total weight.

I'll try and give Paul and call this week and see what's up.

Yes the HD has 90 lb flywheels. That would be 30 lb total or 20% heavier.

Well, they need to change the specs on the web site then.

But I've noticed the site doesn't get much attention, cause their too busy building splitters.:msp_smile:

Seems like several folks been busy building splitters...
:msp_wink:

I am soooooooooo jealous! I can't quite justify the expense in my head. Even though I just landed a nice contract supplying campfire wood to 2 parks, getting by that initial cost is killing me. Anyone done a study on how many cord per year to justify one? I already have a nice horizontal/verticle that I fabbed years ago which works perfect for splitting for woodburners, but for splitting small size(campfire wood), I think I need a dedicated splitter that is faster. My industrial oversize unit is fairly quick and powerful but it takes about 1 hour to process a pile of pieces for 50 bags suitable for the parks on my unit, no cutting or bagging figured, just splitting time. One more question for the OP, how long did it take for you to get delivery once order was placed?

I am soooooooooo jealous! I can't quite justify the expense in my head. Even though I just landed a nice contract supplying campfire wood to 2 parks, getting by that initial cost is killing me. Anyone done a study on how many cord per year to justify one? I already have a nice horizontal/verticle that I fabbed years ago which works perfect for splitting for woodburners, but for splitting small size(campfire wood), I think I need a dedicated splitter that is faster. My industrial oversize unit is fairly quick and powerful but it takes about 1 hour to process a pile of pieces for 50 bags suitable for the parks on my unit, no cutting or bagging figured, just splitting time. One more question for the OP, how long did it take for you to get delivery once order was placed?

Justify the cost :confused: :D

Since getting mine, splitting wood has turned from a chore into an activity I look forward to.
Dang thing is just fun to use!

Mine took just under two weeks to get here, but that was summer 2-1/2 years ago. I hear they are more busy now with all the Speedpro and DR advertisements...

Well most of the figures I've seen (your mileage will vary of course depending on the knot count and your splitting style) indicate about about 2-3x the production for the given amount of time (and less gasoline) or the same production in about 1/2-1/3 of the original time. Gas is probably a similar figure. Just to be conservative, take your current splitting time (all farting around with the wood and misc activities not included) and either divide it in half or double you output figure then figure out how that affects your labor cost/bag. You might be shocked, considering time is the critical bit of overhead in any profession...

Justify the cost :confused: :D

Since getting mine, splitting wood has turned from a chore into an activity I look forward to.
Dang thing is just fun to use!

Mine took just under two weeks to get here, but that was summer 2-1/2 years ago. I hear they are more busy now with all the Speedpro and DR advertisements...

:agree2:

It's fun to use a but hard to stay in rounds.

I picked mine up a week and a half after I ordered it. Picked it up this past Thanksgiving Eve.

:agree2:

It's fun to use a but hard to stay in rounds.

I picked mine up a week and a half after I ordered it. Picked it up this past Thanksgiving Eve.

Before I got the SS, I stayed about 8-10 months ahead on wood.

Now I have 3-4 years of wood split, stacked and drying very nicely.

Rounds don't set long before I pull out the SS. :msp_biggrin:

Congrats!!!

Crank that baby up and show us what it can do.

You're going to love it.

Nothing like free advertising from your competitors, especially when their copies have difficulties due to trying to maximize profit vs cost. Reverse engineering does work just takes awhile to get all the bugs out, tends to leave a sour taste behind with customers.

Latest posts

Back