Sassafras ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is highly regarded as a material to make canoe and kayak paddles. I made a canoe paddle with a sassafrass shaft and a fiberglass blade, and it is a nice one. It kind of looks a little rough, but performs well.

Dan

It's my favorite light weight wood. If there is just a couple of glowing coals left, throw on some sassafras splits and you will have a roaring fire very shortly. It can be lit in a cold stove with just a twisted up piece of paper. Doesn't get punky like soft maple or some of the other light woods people like. I don't think I have ever cut one down that wasn't full of ants, though.

I cut one up that was 16" + dia. I throw it in the furnace. Also if you smoke meat. BBQ. It's great for that too.

I heard that when you are burning sassafras in those Kuuma furnaces they'll have a cup of tea waitin for ya when ya come down to reload in the morning?!? You try that out yet iowa? :D :hmm3grin2orange:

There is two types of sasifrass here, white, and red. The white dosn,t get very big but I have some red that is 24" to 30" dia.
There are many uses for the red and makes good fire wood. Like others have said. Good in the morning and evening for quick heat.
Buck it you will love it.
Safe cutting all

drys fast, burns fast, lots of quick heat. I save it for spring and fall when I don't want a fire burning all day, or when I come home and the house is cold and I want quick heat.

Also break the root the root up and boil it in a kettle on the wood stove. Makes the best blood purifier there is!! Root goes off at an L and is orange colored. What the old rootbeer was made of.

I'm spoiled by my access to standing Dead Red Oak, but I had this Sassafras that died this past year, and decided to cut it down rather than wait for it to fall. I've used a little of it in some Summer patio pit fires, but never tried it for indoor. I do know it cracks and spits.

attachment.php

We use the roots to add flavor and spice to our Apple Butter while boiling it down.

View attachment 275519

Years ago i heard my dad and his friend talking and i it was said if you burn Sassafras your wife will get pregnant, always made me nervious to bring any home.

Blood purifier

In the ozarks people dug sassafras roots in the spring.

They could not go to the store for fresh fruits and vegetables, and by this time, their supplies of preserved fruits and veggies where either running out or the nutritional quality was declining. The point is they where likely deficient in many essential nutrients.

Add some real vitamins and minerals that are fresh and concentrated with some sugar or honey and make a tea. Guess what? It made them feel a lot better. They were not trained in nutrition, or physiology, so they said it was a blood purifier. Remember a deciduous tree stores its resources in the roots to prepare for the spring.

People today are not likely to be deficient in many nutrients unless there is some other disease process going on, so no it is not going to have the same effect, but I like the taste and smell.

Dan

Back