Saving a memorial Powderpuff Bottlebrush?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unusualhuman

Reaction score
A lovely woman at my daughter's preschool has been tending this Powderpuff Bottlebrush tree for about a year. It was planted and dedicated to her late husband, soon after he passed. For a while, it was the most beautiful tree on the grounds, but when Hurricane Irma passed our area, it split the trunk of the beautiful young tree 3 ways. The remaining trunk has been taped, and the woman still tends it. She understandably feels emotionally attached to this particular tree.

The local nursery says that the little sprouts will continue to grow, creating a bushy shape, but I think it will likely be weak (like water sprouts an oak) and maybe not very nicely shaped.

I wondered if it would be possible to graft on a new top, to keep the sentimental roots in place? She's open to that idea, but neither of us knows if that's really possible.

She's been offered identical replacement trees, but for sentimental reasons she is not ready to give up on tending what remains of the tree, at least for as long as it still shows signs of life

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance, from Sarasota, FL.
(I have a few more photos that I can post it that will be helpful- just let me know)

Attachments

• IMG_20171110_092142511.jpg
    IMG_20171110_092142511.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
I'm not an expert and will happily defer to those here who are, but I have worked in the Landscape industry in central FL for many years and am familiar with bottle brush trees.

Bottle brush trees have very weak wood, and naturally grow in a bushy, multi-stem form. That split would, at best, be a very weak point at the base of the trunk. As the tree grows up and the top fills out, it will put more and more stress at the base until snaps.

My sugestion is to replant it now and have a healthy tree that people can enjoy for many years, rather than one that struggles for a couple years before dying anyway. You might want to consider something other than a bottle brush.

I'm not an expert and will happily defer to those here who are, but I have worked in the Landscape industry in central FL for many years and am familiar with bottle brush trees.

Bottle brush trees have very weak wood, and naturally grow in a bushy, multi-stem form. That split would, at best, be a very weak point at the base of the trunk. As the tree grows up and the top fills out, it will put more and more stress at the base until snaps.

My sugestion is to replant it now and have a healthy tree that people can enjoy for many years, rather than one that struggles for a couple years before dying anyway. You might want to consider something other than a bottle brush.

Another idea- could it work for us to graft a few pieces of the sprouts from the broken tree onto the tips of a couple of branches on a new bottle brush tree? I'm also wondering if I could take a few of the sprouts as cuttings, to start her a few new babies. I'll check Google for bottlebrush cuttings info, but probably need to hear from an expert on the other idea. Thanks again ☺

This is one reason why I am not in favor of memorial trees. If by chance the tree does not survive, the loved ones may experience another sense of loss.

Could you cut the main stem close to the ground and allow it sprout back? After a year or so, maybe thin out the sprouts, selecting to keep only a few of the better ones.

Back