Saving a Poulan 4200/5200 air fliter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot melt products- 3M

Product #3779 is the one listed as fuel and oil resistant, high temp.

Thanks! Looking now .....

Here's how mine currently looks ....

GEDC0184.jpg

GEDC0187.jpg

GEDC0186.jpg

Air filter availability issues on Poulan 4200/4400/5200 and how many other models??

I'm out researching air filters and ran across this excellent thread started by Modifiedmark. How many Poulan saws use this same filter; 4200/4400/5200 and ?? Has anyone found a worthy replacement air filter that is still commonly available?? How about an adapter machined up to use a commonly available filter?? Does the top cover fit too tightly to allow a alternative filter adaptation?? Could a tube be ran up outside of the top cover to mount K&N style filter as seen on some of the demo saws.......and other applications???

I can certainly appreciate the creativity that Mm and Warped5 have implemented in trying to come up with a way to filter the air going into their saws!! :clap::msp_thumbsup:

I'm out researching air filters and ran across this excellent thread started by Modifiedmark. How many Poulan saws use this same filter; 4200/4400/5200 and ?? Has anyone found a worthy replacement air filter that is still commonly available?? How about an adapter machined up to use a commonly available filter?? Does the top cover fit too tightly to allow a alternative filter adaptation?? Could a tube be ran up outside of the top cover to mount K&N style filter as seen on some of the demo saws.......and other applications???

I can certainly appreciate the creativity that Mm and Warped5 have implemented in trying to come up with a way to filter the air going into their saws!! :clap::msp_thumbsup:

Thanks! The Poulan filters are NLA, although there is an AS member who has a few.

I have tried to fit a couple of other styles (the latest being a Husky L65) that all had clearance issues. So I'm going to fly with this solution (as un-elegant as it may appear) until I can find one.

There was consideration given to using the AF for the 6900/7700/8500 once but there is also clearance problems with this one. It fits on with a slight mod of the attachment nuts but the top cover doesn't fit IIRC.

There was consideration given to using the AF for the 6900/7700/8500 once but there is also clearance problems with this one. It fits on with a slight mod of the attachment nuts but the top cover doesn't fit IIRC.

That's the kind of information I'm seeking.........knowing what's been tried and why it didn't work out. Just seems like there has to be a way.........I'm going to contact a friend that works at a major aftermarket air filter manufacturer and pick his brain on filter median and what he has access to that could be "brought home".

That's the kind of information I'm seeking.........knowing what's been tried and why it didn't work out. Just seems like there has to be a way.........I'm going to contact a friend that works at a major aftermarket air filter manufacturer and pick his brain on filter median and what he has access to that could be "brought home".

Sire it would be appreciated if you worked something out. I won't throw away any more old ones. Thanks for your efforts.

It does look good, Mark! :msp_thumbsup:

After we spoke a week ago, I got to thinking as well ... :msp_confused:

I found a B&S pleated air filter in the $.99 bargain bin at the hardware store and flattened out that material before gluing to the OUTSIDE of the filter box. Seems to work well thus far.

I reasoned that the foam I had in my parts box would be too restrictive ..

The one thing I did notice was that the glue gets a little bit brittle and doesn't especially like to adhere to the plastic of the filter frame. I applied enough of a bead to get the glue into the screen a bit.

A couple of other (more commonly available) filters arrived in the mail yesterday ... I will post later today if they fit up OK.

Thanks for the pleated filter tip. I used an auto filter to fix an old filter on an old saw that should make a good trail saw.

Not only was it a quick fix, I looked on the filter box and it guarantees a 15 hp increase. Nice to have 20 hp saw.

Have some rep T

Tim

Hot melt glues are really a thermoset plastic. Hot-melt adhesive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <--good article IMO....there are many different HMGs. FYI There might be one that works better with fuel.

JB Weld Kwik, (I think that's the name) anyway, the kind that dries in 5 minutes, works on foam air filters. I've used it to construct filters for some of the vintage dirt bikes I've worked on, it works great and holds up very well

JB Weld Kwik, (I think that's the name) anyway, the kind that dries in 5 minutes, works on foam air filters. I've used it to construct filters for some of the vintage dirt bikes I've worked on, it works great and holds up very well

I thought about a more permanent adhesive solution, but tossed that idea. The problem with the original filters seems to be that the flocking falls off, leaving the screening and the frame. The hot glue removes easy and works well with the pleated paper, as the paper and the glue can be easily replaced.

I thought about a more permanent adhesive solution, but tossed that idea. The problem with the original filters seems to be that the flocking falls off, leaving the screening and the frame. The hot glue removes easy and works well with the pleated paper, as the paper and the glue can be easily replaced.

That's a good point, keep us posted - you may have started a trend!

I should have mentioned in my post about JB Kwik epoxy that it was the one and only glue I could find locally that would successfully glue foam to foam. Most dirt bike filters are multiple pieces glued together and I tried everything under the sun and nothing worked to suit me. A friend stopped by and we were discussing it, he had some JB Kwik in his truck, we tried it and it worked perfectly. The foam would tear before the seams failed.

Latest posts

Back