Saw As An Investment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termite

Time To Launch
Reaction score
If you were going to buy a saw or two and leave them new in the box what would it be and why?
Of course, they are to be sold years latter at a profit not to be taken out and used!

372xp and MS660. Flagship saws. Although, who knows, maybe the replacements will be better, maybe not.

If you were going to buy a saw or two and leave them new in the box what would it be and why?
Of course, they are to be sold years latter at a profit not to be taken out and used!

372 Husky especially if they quit making it (rumour)..:monkey:

DOLMAR 7900 RS ! hands down i would pay over a grand right know for one new in box. however i would be interested in a used one. i looked posted here a year or so ago . no luck! i have called around and emailed over the big pond with no luck also . however i did manage to get my hands on a unlimited coil from one .

Based on the way things are going with our gubment...anything with a 2-stroke engine.

Agreed...

Poulan Wildthing, (sorry, had too, don't know what comes over me sometimes)

Somebody needs to prove that they actually existed, and in that color scheme. Who would believe it otherwise?

Well how about that. Been kicking this exact question around for a few months now.

I do have a like new 440 all cleaned up and sitting on the shelf (about 6 tanks of fuel through her). Figured a 660 probably isn't a bad idea either.

Just could never do that. I would have to fire it up. I couldn't keep my hands off of a new saw. My investment would go to pot in a heart beat:greenchainsaw:

I will preface this by saying I am a carpenter/ shop manager.:hmm3grin2orange:

These saws would need to be purchased cash with no other outstanding debt to apply said cash to.

Research your available brands and try to predict which models will gain in value at least the minimum rate of any current outstanding debt.

The answer is most likely none. You would be better off not incurring any new debt and stashing cash in long term slow growth investments with a historical interest gain greater than any current outstanding interest loss. Hard to find for a lot of people.

090s and 125s are proof that saws purchased a list price are typically low long term earners.

I will make this prediction as well, after EBayers start getting hammered for income/sales/ppt and other taxes the "big payoffs" will start disappearing and most of the "market" will evaporate. Be careful it is around the corner.

Last edited:
I would have to say the 880, 3120 or any other 120+cc saw. I think that as emissions requirements get tougher and engine improvments from new designs get more power from a lighter smaller power head we'll see a 100-110cc range replacing the 120+cc saws. Just my guess but I think there may be a market out there for a saw with 880 power in a slightly enlarged 660 package. At that point the big saws of today may be like the 090s and 125 macs, a nich market of collectors looking for a good saw and willing to pay to own one. That said I doubt the return would be any better that a savings account would pay over the same lenght of time.

In my case I bought the 880 to use, granted I take good care of it and barring some unforseen accident, or the goverment regulating good fuel (and thats where they'll try to get us) I dont forsee loosing any money on it if I do decide to sell it in the distant future. I couldnt spend 1600-1800 on a saw and not fire it up

My pick would be the Dolmar 7900. It has a several things going for it.

1) Possibly the last of the true stock hot-rod saws before EPA clamp-down.
2) Lower initial investment is more reasonable compared to the other saws, thus it would be easier to recoup the initial purchase price.
3) It's much more rare than the Stihls or Husky's.

I don't think saws are a good investment as a collectors item, but if I think the 7900 is a no-brainer. One day, it will be spoken of in saw terms the way we talk about the Kawasaki H1 and H2 of the 70's. Performance far beyond the price of entry.

372xpw. But you would have to keep it new and used.
I have to agree with Justsaws. Saws would be a poor investment choice.

Back