Saw bit me today, I was lucky....ALWAYS wear chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
While my pride is hurt, I'm posting this just so others don't go out and be as foolish as I was today. I will say that I am as careful as I can be, I have PPE and that's why I'm so pissed at myself.

My neighbor had a tree to cut down awhile ago and I insisted that he wear my chaps. Fast forward a few months and I was out today getting the saw ready for next weekend since my neighbor has a gum that he said I could have...local POCO set it down and I only need to buck it a small amount.

I looked around for the chaps today and I didn't see them, thought I retrieved them but I was just going to set the carb on the fresh gas, new chain and make a few cuts to get it hot. A red oak fell during the last big storm and I ran a few cuts through it and after about 10 min or so it was running good. I walked away from the tree and there was a small 2" tree I need to get out of the way so I blipped the gas and went through the "twig", as I finished I went to hit the kill switch as I walked away and all this happened simultaneously....

I stepped away as the saw was slowing down, reached for the kill switch and the bar caught a vine and kicked it towards my left leg as it was moving forward in stride. I had jeans on, NO CHAPS! :angry: and I felt a tap on the leg, looked down and saw a gaping tear in the denim.

I didn't feel anything except a tap on the leg, saw some light pink and peeked in and instantly relieved I didn't need a medic but a lot of TLC.

Pretty freaking scary, could have been much, much worse. Looks worse than it is but nonetheless it took some scrubbing and a few hydrocolloid patches. I'm always careful and give saws all the respect they deserve, this time I was just stupid because it was just a quick adjustment.

I won't make that mistake again, and I'm very thankful I have the opportunity to even make a mistake again. For anyone who thinks it won't happen to them, believe me, don't chance it. This is a pride-killer for sure, I have no idea how I even let the saw get close to me but it did and everything came into play and it took a bite out of me. Chainsaws show no mercy and they are not your friend, that's the mentality I go out with and it let me know who has the larger teeth.

Work safe.

Saws have no pity. Glad you weren't hurt worse.

I went decades, no PPE, but now..not a single cut, for any reason, without it.

Saws kick because the chain hits something when it is moving to SLOW to cut tree

but not to slow to cut flesh.

I wear chaps when working for a customer but seldom at home, but I have modified the trip levers on my saws that have chain brakes by adding material on the back side to allow slight movement of my wrist to trigger the brake. When moving from one cut to the next cutting firewood I don't hit it but moving around to do any thing else the wrist bump has become second nature. I feel stopping the chain any time I move to be more important than the chaps. I will say the fact that chaps are more expensive than jeans prompts some to be more careful with their saws when wearing them!

Mistake #1, no chaps. Mistake #2, moving with the chain running. You should never take that first step unless the saw is off or the brake is on.

Thanks for sharing that... I realize it's not always an easy thing to share our mistakes. I wear my chaps 95% of the time. On some of the hot days I have a tendency to leave them off. Your post reminded me I need to wear them EVERY TIME I fire up a saw.

get a lockjaw booster, if it's been more than a couple five years.

no fixing that afterwards.

Yep, I'm going after work tomorrow. Been less than 10 but not worth chancing. Thanks for the advice.

Mistake #1, no chaps. Mistake #2, moving with the chain running. You should never take that first step unless the saw is off or the brake is on.

It is fine to leave them on if they are idling without the chain spinning. But if the chains spinning then you need to adjust the carb.

I'll probably hear it for saying this, but i very rarely where PPE...I was cutting locust post all day Saturday in shorts and flip flops :D
I've been cutting for over thirty years without PPE. Not saying it's right or wrong...just saying....:popcorn:

I wear my chaps all the time when cutting. I'll even wear them with running the splitter since it keeps my pants cleaner and protects my upper thigh from getting rubbed/poked by the logs.
Also use them when running the weedeater and cutting tall weeds/sticks.

Don't care if it's 120*, I'll sweat a bit and keep my legs!

The chaps saved me leg once last year. I had a big set of felling dawgs on my 460. Went to walk over some debris to put the saw away and sort of lost my balanced a bit while walking on some branches. Ran the dawg into my leg while trying not to fall. Tore open my chaps, almost all the way through. Saw wasn't even running.

Not that I'm an OSHA/PPE Nazi, but the couple $$s and minor PITA most PPE causes is well worth it in the long run. I was in the Air Force for about 12 years (2w071) so some of the safety crap we had to deal with actually did make sense and I still practice it now.

No I don't need an apron, two layers of gloves, goggles AND faceshield when using my parts washer, but I do put gloves on at least!

I know many guys that can barely hear or see or are missing fingers, toes, limbs, etc from an accident that would have been prevented.

The farm I have my wood lot on, the farmer I swear is about 50% deaf. He runs all sorts of loud stuff, no hearing protection, even when I GAVE him a nice set of ear muffs.

The guys I have working for me, I give them PPE and they are told if they don't use it, they will be fired on the spot. Period. I don't have time to deal with all the paperwork and insurance because someone was stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll probably hear it for saying this, but i very rarely where PPE...I was cutting locust post all day Saturday in shorts and flip flops :D
I've been cutting for over thirty years without PPE. Not saying it's right or wrong...just saying....:popcorn:

:msp_ohmy:... :popcorn:

I wear my chaps all the time when cutting. I'll even wear them with running the splitter since it keeps my pants cleaner and protects my upper thigh from getting rubbed/poked by the logs.
Also use them when running the weedeater and cutting tall weeds/sticks.

Don't care if it's 120*, I'll sweat a bit and keep my legs!

The chaps saved me leg once last year. I had a big set of felling dawgs on my 460. Went to walk over some debris to put the saw away and sort of lost my balanced a bit while walking on some branches. Ran the dawg into my leg while trying not to fall. Tore open my chaps, almost all the way through. Saw wasn't even running.

Not that I'm an OSHA/PPE Nazi, but the couple $$s and minor PITA most PPE causes is well worth it in the long run. I was in the Air Force for about 12 years (2w071) so some of the safety crap we had to deal with actually did make sense and I still practice it now.

No I don't need an apron, two layers of gloves, goggles AND faceshield when using my parts washer, but I do put gloves on at least!

I know many guys that can barely hear or see or are missing fingers, toes, limbs, etc from an accident that would have been prevented.

The farm I have my wood lot on, the farmer I swear is about 50% deaf. He runs all sorts of loud stuff, no hearing protection, even when I GAVE him a nice set of ear muffs.

The guys I have working for me, I give them PPE and they are told if they don't use it, they will be fired on the spot. Period. I don't have time to deal with all the paperwork and insurance because someone was stupid.

Never used to.
Now I wear them even to weed wack. Keeps my legs clean and any rocks that fly back don't hurt.

No one plans to get hurt!

The best gift you can give your family is you! All of you in one piece.

No offense mate and im glad you are safe but why no chain brake right after cut?
If you did what is suggested OHS wise, and put chain brake on right after cut then this may of not happened?
...its just the flick of your wrist, only takes a few seconds for chain to stop spinning enough to put it on with out wear.

Last edited:
No offense mate and im glad you are safe but why no chain brake right after cut?
If you did what is suggested OHS wise, and put chain brake on right after cut then this may of not happened?
...its just the flick of your wrist, only takes a few seconds for chain to stop spinning enough to put it on with out wear.

I agree, when I walk around on uneven terrain the saw is off, if I'm walking around on flat ground to get a better angle on a piece the brake is on. The reason the brake wasn't on is I took a quick cut then went for the kill switch since I was finished. The last moment of using the saw is when it came after me....that last instant of not being focused.

I should have stayed put and waited for the chain to stop or apply the brake before I shut it down.

nasty scar eh well there goes your male modeling career :msp_razz:

good post good to share and others may be saved from grief by this

Interesting how fast if jeans or pants just touched by spinning saw chain will bite pull the bar into your leg meat and may make you blip throttle by the inward action jerks your hand.

Exactly. It's a dangerous enough job even with the proper PPE. Don't need to take any more risk! ORM... (Operational Risk Management)

Never used to.
Now I wear them even to weed wack. Keeps my legs clean and any rocks that fly back don't hurt.

No one plans to get hurt!

The best gift you can give your family is you! All of you in one piece.

Hard to admit but I had almost the exact same thing happen last Friday. Knocking down a couple saplings, sawed thru them and released saw from right hand to grab saplings. The saw brushed against left knee before it stopped completely. First thought was that it only went thru top layer of double knee carhartt, until I took a step and felt blood running into my boot. Rolled up pants & flexed leg, could tell stitches were needed. Couple of bandages & 10 mile drive later I was getting sewn up. About 3" slice across knee, very close to hitting bone. STILL pissed cause of my stupidity. Knew better but it was only a couple saplings......Next trip will be in chaps before the saw starts.

View attachment 304024View attachment 304024

Latest posts

Back