Saw bit me today, I was lucky....ALWAYS wear chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
37 yrs of runninig a chain saw w/o chaps, i'm getting older, not smarter. it is time to i nvest in some ppe, ecspecially after my shredder incident.

37 yrs of runninig a chain saw w/o chaps, i'm getting older, not smarter. it is time to i nvest in some ppe, ecspecially after my shredder incident.

I really appreciate your perspective. saws without chainbrakes are cool but they are there for a reason. also think about sawing with someone else around when ever possible.

these guys are relatively lucky

Thanks for sharing that... I realize it's not always an easy thing to share our mistakes. I wear my chaps 95% of the time. On some of the hot days I have a tendency to leave them off. Your post reminded me I need to wear them EVERY TIME I fire up a saw.

Yeah when its 90 degrees forgetting is easy, I know better, but still leave them in the truck sometimes. Mine have a small cut into the kevlar in them so I really know better.

#1...Thank you all for posting your injury stories and pictures because that is what made me get chaps after cutting wood for 35 years. I have never been cut yet but every time I hear about your injuries, IT MAKES ME THINK! I bought full wrap chaps for me and apron chaps for dear ole dad. HE has cut him self a few times but has been VERY lucky it is only several stiches at a time. I am quickly working my self up to wearing them ALL the time but am finding out they are hot. Sweaty legs are better than bloody legs. Thanks again guys!:)

Thanks for the post, really brings home the benefit of chaps.
I am going to make a point of never running the saw without them.

I'll probably hear it for saying this, but i very rarely where PPE...I was cutting locust post all day Saturday in shorts and flip flops :D
I've been cutting for over thirty years without PPE. Not saying it's right or wrong...just saying....:popcorn:

That's the great thing about America, you can be just as ignorant as you want to be, and it's OK.:msp_thumbdn:

Back