Saw case from a past thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary N Carter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I believe it was CMBetz who started an earlier thread about how to carry his saw to the field. Well, I finally got my hands on a digital camera so here goes. This is what I call a
"Saw Caddy". This allows me to simply place the saws on the back of the truck (and under the cover). I have two that hold two saws each and my newest one holds three. They are made of either one by or two buy and are drilled under the rubber mat for lightness. This works for me!

Thanks for remembering, Gary. I think I can put somehing together along those lines. What is the black liner material?

I mean, is it something along the lines of a semi mudflap, or some other rubber material?

CMBetz,
Its actually a rubber printing mat from the local printer. One of my choir members works there and he brings it to me rather than throwing it away. Its a real god quality wooven material. It increases the friction where the saw sits to stop it from moving. Plus it also helps protect the finish. It usually come in rolls 3' by about 6'. If you would like some I'll send you some. For me thoses saw caddys work great. I can carry four saws to the field and still have room on the back of my stepside.

So, today I stopped by the dealer that I see on my travels to and from E. Lansing, asked for a case to fit the 372XP, and he pulled one off the shelf, along with a saw, to demonstrate the capacity of the case. He struggled, engaged the chain brake, reached around under the case cover to tweak the brake lever, and finally, with much showmanship (and a little bit of cussing), closed the case around the saw. The saw definitely in would not slide aroundl inside the case, as it did not have any room. I shudder to think about how the composite parts that make up the brake lever had to be stressed to fit it in there.

Anyway, he felt the fit was a bit snug, too, so he looked up the case part number in the "book" and, most certainly, the case is meant to hold any saw up to a 372..

Hey, I know parts manuals are in error occasionally, that parts can fit, with enough jostling and explitave remarks, but after specifically asking Husqvarna through their website and calling the service number, why do they give information that, in practice, proves to be innaccurate?

All of the previous rant is based upon the simple fact that no one consistently answers the simple question of whether or not there is a difference between a yellow- and orange- nylon silk air filter. I have heard now, from Husqvarna engineering, that there is a difference bewtween a yellow and red filter, but so far, I haven't seen a red one. Now, after conversations with several dealers in the area, there is also a black-framed filter, too, that is either of greater or lesser filtration capacities than the yellow/orange/red. I just want to know what to use, especially after the manual for the 346 shows different gradations of B/W to represent different filters for different conditions, but no tie to a part number for any of them. The 372 manual does not even make a reference to different filters.

My !ss is a little chapped tonight, since I can't get a straight answer about the Husky saws, and at least with t my local Stihl dealers, they'll tell you yes or no, and "there's only one part that will fit."

Can anyone tell me, what the difference is between the different air filters?

CB

Hmm...well I also, have never seen a red cased filter...but I have seen yellow and black cased nylon filters...never paid much attention though, I just thought the plastic was made from recycled Stihl cylinders, and painted...but I will dig into it tomorrow for you...and worse case scenario...I have a Husky service school at the end of next week....but I am sure there is an explanation readily available....probably something to do with the filtration capabilities, like you say..generally here the only thing anyone worries about is the flocked or nylon...

-I live in my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

CMBetz,
I am familiar with the black plastis cased filters from Husky but not intentionally. I ordered a spare filter for each one of my saws and the black nylon filters are what came in. The local dealers explanation was that they were intended for summer use. However, I believe they flow more air because when I installed them on a couple of my saws (it was around 94 degrees) they leaned the saws out. I was already in the field and was not prepared to re-set each saw. It was ticked to say the least. For my needs I now try and stick to the stock fiber filters. Thats my experience.

Back