saw chain sharpening service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainsaw_Maniac

Chainsaw_Maniac

ArboristSite Operative
What I do is hand sharpen the saws in a vise. After a while they might not cut straight anymore (cuz the teeth aren't all the same length or cuz I hit a rock or wire) and that's when I put the chains aside to take to a local saw shop later ($4/chain).

I always keep a spare chain with me when I'm cutting. I usually hoard up about half a dozen chains, then bring tham into the saw shop along with a spare bar that needs grinding or something.

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Stumper,
Sometimes I am wrong because I am generally an idiot but I try not to lie. If you catch me in what looks like a lie it is your responsibilty to challenge me. That`s the general outlook I take.
Later, Russ

Drew78

Drew78

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks to all who replied-

I will wait untill I get a couple of loops ready to be sharpened and then contact someone about sharpening IF, I dont try to do it myself first!

I am going to look into getting some files and guides to try to figure this game out. I will post questions I am sure and of course,...search our archives for advice.

Thanks again!

-Drew

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
I will do them for 30$, but I will pay you the thirty, although you will have to wait 30 days. Just send them C.O.D., Postage Due, Customs and Duty I will look after, plus you get a free gift and a 6 pak of 13/64" Stihl files, and why wouldn't you?
Frank's Planks
Box 2
Saskatoon Canada
LOG ITO

Chainsaw_Maniac

Chainsaw_Maniac

ArboristSite Operative
Originally posted by Drew78
Thanks to all who replied-

I will wait untill I get a couple of loops ready to be sharpened and then contact someone about sharpening IF, I dont try to do it myself first!

I am going to look into getting some files and guides to try to figure this game out. I will post questions I am sure and of course,...search our archives for advice.

Thanks again!

-Drew

According to the sharpening guy at the saw shop there are three basic things that everyone can do to sharpen batter:
  1. Make sure that the angle of the tooth is the same on every tooth. Everyone has their own favorite angle.
  2. Make sure the right and the left side are simetrical.
  3. Get a gage and make sure that the length of all the teeth are the same within 0.010 (10 thousandths) of an inch. Find out which tooth is the shortest and make all other teeth the same as that (by filing them).

Point 3 is the one that I'm too lazy to due cuz going to the saw shop guy who has a grinder is easier. But with enough hand filing and measuing anyone could get a chain with at leats soem metal remaining on the tooth back to perfect cutting condition.

Also:
  • Sometimes the bars need grinding, not just the chains. (Maybe every 50 cords of firewood or so).
  • I like to put the saw in a vise. If I need a sharp chain I replece it and wait until I'm home to sharpen what needs sharpening. If you like to file on a stump out in the bush then make sure the saw is steady and you are in a comfortable position to sharpen.
  • Pracice makes perfect.