Saw chains won't stay sharp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanManofStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought my ms 361 it came with a new chain and a spare chain and I can't seem to get it as sharp as it was originally. I have a granberg 12 volt chain sharpener. I have gotten most other chains close to being as sharp as they were originally but now they seem to lose the cutting speed quickly. I am sharpening at a 30 degrees and the chain is the stihl Rs non safety. I have mostly used the RM before because I got it really cheaply. Any inputs
Thanks

Hi Dan,

Are you giving your chains enough hook(or sideplate angle)? Are you focusing on getting the working corner sharp? Sharpening semi chisel is a little different from sharpening chisel chain.

I`m also assuming that you are making light passes with the Granberg so that you don`t overheat the tooth and soft anneal it.

If you could post a close up pic or two I`m sure that someone here can help you spot the problem.

Russ

Pics

I can't get a clear pic I don't know if you can see much out of these it doesn't want to zoom in

What size file should I use I have been using a 3/16. Bwalker how do get the hook out? And avoid getting a hooked again. Thanks

it's a little tough from your pics.....but it looks like your not pulling up on the file and getting the top plate/working corner correct. are you hitting the tie straps? alot of people push down too much with a file and this is not correct.

Tie straps

I always hit them after I sharpen the chin 3 times. I try to let the grinder plate sit on top of the tooth like it says in the manual. Thanks for the help.

DanManofStihl said:
I always hit them after I sharpen the chain 3 times

if your hitting the tie straps your doing something wrong.........i pull up on the file as i bring it across. i also wear gloves when i sharpen because when you pull up while getting a nice corner i have tendency ti slip and shred my knuckles on the cutter.

concentrate on getting the working corner perfect.

Chain

No I thought you ment was I hitting the depth guages. No I don't hit the tie straps on the chain. Sorry for the confusion.

A lot of Stihl chain seems to have too deep of a hook straight out of the box, especially the PM (3/8 low pro). I have a heck of a time getting the file groove back up high enough the first couple times sharpening it. Stihl's sharpening angles are not able to be reproduced with a hand file so you basically need to re-cut each tooth in order to successfully sharpen the chain. Other brands of chain are much easier to file properly straight out of the box.

Filing

I have never really done hand filing I always had the little electric grinder. I have never really had a problem up till now and now I can't get the chain to stay sharp for more then 3 minutes at a time. I wonder what angle they file them at at the factory.

You appear to perhaps be presenting the stone too low on the cutter especially if you are hitting the tie straps on a new chain with a 3/16 grinding cuttter; also watch that the tilt of your stone matches the tilt of the top plate so the cutter gets the same angle all across its top plate. The pics are a bit out of focus which is easy to do with auto focus. try taping a piece of cardboard behind the bar so it will focus on that. Is your wood muddy at all?

Frank

OK I went out their and tryed the carb board trick it didn't make any difference this camera usually kicks butt but now is just another pain in my butt. When I am sharpening the chain I am not hitting the tie straps that was a mistake in my original post.

Dan,

I cropped one of your pictures that although it`s very fuzzy, seems to show that your working corner is reflecting the flash which indicates that it`s not sharp.

Try holding your file up higher and you will need a 13/64" or 7/32" file or Granberg stone if the chain pitch is standard 3/8.

Let us know if we haven`t helped yet.

BTW, I also added a picture of my brother`s cat, kinda the way that you put your animal pictures in.

Russ

Opps wrong pics

I was wondering why you had a picture of a cat. I loaded the wrong pics. Sorry about that

Latest posts

Back