Saw cut diagnosis....???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martrix

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I am still pretty new to chainsaws, but learning heaps here every day as well from getting out there and cutting!

Here are some pics of how my chain is cutting at the moment. The first pic is from the first time I used the mill, and was not pushing much as I was trying not to break the little electric saw. It was also pretty slow.

attachment.php

This second lot of pics is after a few more hours with the saw and after regular sharpening. Was pushing the saw much more and also pivoting the saw slightly as I go. Was much faster than the first time. Ive got a gas saw on the way, so not too fussed if I kill the saw.

Tell me what you read from the pics, cheers.

attachment.php

looks fine. Looks like you were using regular chain, not milling chain. Milling chain will make the board smoother. Welcome to the world of milling, its addictive!!:rock:

Looks relatively good for chainsaw milling. You will find also that different kinds of wood mill differently as far as how smooth the cut is. What kind of wood is that? It doesn't look like anything that grows here in the Northeast US. Looks hard and dense for one thing. Is it bloodwood?

Looks relatively good for chainsaw milling. You will find also that different kinds of wood mill differently as far as how smooth the cut is. What kind of wood is that? It doesn't look like anything that grows here in the Northeast US. Looks hard and dense for one thing. Is it bloodwood?

Hi Woodshop, yeah its a pretty hard timber called River redgum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) with an air dry density of around 915 kg/m³.
For comparison, Walnut and Cherry are around 600 kg/m³. Its hard work machining it, but is always worth it in the end.

redgum2.jpg

redgum3.jpg

Last edited:

Aggie

Ever think about submitting that picture to Stihl?
http://www.stihlusa.com/information/info_testim_chainsaws.html section.

Would make a good story, I mean if an Aggie can dot it!* :cheers:

*(I should say why I find Aggies a good target to pick on, I went to school with Mike May, he played for the Longhorns and latter coached there, then went on to coach for Notre Dame, fun class, Tom Davis from the Steelers was also in the class, picking on Mike May was as fun as it gets, A&M is possably one of the best schools for sense of school pride and good humor! :cheers: )

Last edited:
Hi Woodshop, yeah its a pretty hard timber called River redgum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) with an air dry density of around 915 kg/m³.

Beautiful jewelry box... I like that River Redgum. Send me couple hundred bd ft air mail, money is no object. (I wish). :(

Aggie

Ever think about submitting that picture to Stihl?
http://www.stihlusa.com/information/info_testim_chainsaws.html section.

Would make a good story, I mean if an Aggie can dot it!* :cheers:

*(I should say why I find Aggies a good target to pick on, I went to school with Mike May, he played for the Longhorns and latter coached there, then went on to coach for Notre Dame, fun class, Tom Davis from the Steelers was also in the class, picking on Mike May was as fun as it gets, A&M is possably one of the best schools for sense of school pride and good humor! :cheers: )

:laugh:

Stihl could knock off Geico commercials: "So easy, an Aggie could do it."

I think I may need therapy now.:D

:cheers:

Back