saw for a girl????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tiny saws are hard work. I sliced up a heap of pallets and bits today with work's stihl MS170 and it was slow going. I got bored, started on some big stuff with the Husky 266SE. It's a couple of pounds heavier but the aggressive acceleration and sheer output more than outweigh it. Worst of all with the 170... I had to bend down 8" further to reach the wood. My back is f:censored:d, it's awful. I realise fully now why I've always preferred bigger saws. it's simply because they are BIGGER! that's all.

Agree with above: get your lady started out with the biggest saw she can comfortably handle, make sure it's in really good shape for easier starting. an easy-start system may be a benefit but learning to crank a conventional saw offers many more possibilities. She'll learn. She'll ache like mad for a bit too but that's all part of the game, it means muscle is growing back bigger than before. I'm sure she'll see the point in terms of sheer production speed if she swaps to a smaller saw for a day. And if she wants to paint it pink, don't get cross. there are some girly traits that just won't go away, and us men should get used to the idea :D

.... if she wants to paint it pink, don't get cross. there are some girly traits that just won't go away, and us men should get used to the idea :D

Just close your eyes and listen to the sound of the chainsaw and you know whats behind the colour.

7sleeper

:agree2:
it's a generalisation to say that women aren't as strong as men, and therefore ofen true, but some will surprise you ;)

Well I guess that settles it,informal poll numbers suggest:
If you want a girlie saw,buy a Stihl

If you want a real machine,buy a husky,

did I miss anything else?

:cheers:

ak

Well I guess that settles it,informal poll numbers suggest:
If you want a girlie saw,buy a Stihl

If you want a real machine,buy a husky,

did I miss anything else?

:cheers:

ak

Accessories. My next door neighbor and I both like the Bugz for our eyes. I like the powder pink hardhats at Madsens but I have to wear orange on the job. The lavender earplugs are great. I should have gotten the orange chaps instead of the green ones, they match the orange on the saw and hat and my rubber calks. I like to go to Madsen's for gloves and socks. They carry smaller sizes there. The experimental dye job on the hickory shirt was a failure. The color has washed out. :cry:

Oh, the other saw shop in Chehalis carries rubber calks down to guy's size 6.
Otherwise, boots are hard to find and we have to custom order them. :cry:

Nice as the 5100 may be Dolmar is hardly known in the UK and dealers are thin on the ground.
Plus the 5100 is not sold in the UK.
If the Husqvarna dealer network is better then go with Husky.
Commercial decision pure and simple not based on brand loyalty.
346xp seems to be the way to go.

lolol Apart from being "sold" here, it's barely known in the USA either (outside of AS), and dealers being "thin" is a gross understatement. ;)

well it looks like hes gonna go with the cheapest! so probably another ms260 he didnt like his last one though but then he doesnt like huskys either and atleast there will be some spares around! personally i still think the 346 will be the better choice but i dont know if my mum will apreciate the amazing pick up and cutting speeds xp huskys have... maybe he will let her loose on his ms46 and 42"ms88 once shes got over the habbit of blunting a chain every 2 minutes that new saw operators seem to have! but i look forward to maybe getting some work done with all 3 of us in the forrest thinnng and felling in some future holidays!

Last edited:
The 260 isn't the cheapest but if he is a logger he knows how important a quality saw is, tell him congrats on the 260! If he would like to sell the one that has a toasted top end, lemme know.

The 260 isn't the cheapest but if he is a logger he knows how important a quality saw is, tell him congrats on the 260! If he would like to sell the one that has a toasted top end, lemme know.

it is in the UK, we obviously know the value of the best saw!,illl let you know on the toasted 260 if they take the 346 and wont need the parts.........

are they not rebaged as makita in europe???
Makita own Dolmar since 1991, and it depends on where in Europe you are talking about.
Parts are not easily got and are expensive through the Makita network.
I also don't think the 5100 is an EU model ,They only list DCS5000 and DCS5001 not 5100.
Not trying to dissuade you from buying a 5100 but they are not exactly common.

Back