Saw for the boy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jughead500

jughead500

Sasquatch
Redmax gz4000 or echo cs400 or under.the echos are pretty good saws but I like the redmax.they wake up pretty good with a muffler mod.that could come in handy later when he gets used to it.

Last edited:
fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
I concur with those that recommend the Stihl 018/MS180. They are light, easy to start and with a sharp chain will go through the wood well. I have one as my "small" saw. I have a full line of saws up to over 100cc but the 018C I have is a keeper. (an 017/MS170 would be fine too.)
This size saw would look similar to your Stihl and if he has something he can handle well, maybe in a few months you'll be running the small saw for a bit while he tries the larger one.

Sebago Guide

Sebago Guide

ArboristSite Member
I have an ms170 and husky 142 and believe either would be fine for your son. Have not had a bit of problems with either clearing three acres in Maine.

Hinerman

Hinerman

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Grab one of the 201t's that Brad does. Handy.

Not sure a top handle is a good idea. They are a little more hazardous; but, a 201 rear handle by Brad is an excellent idea if money is not an issue.

My son (age 9) has an Oregon Earthquake by default. He won it at a Charity Cut in September. Nice little starter saw.

mesupra

mesupra

Mainer
440 husky with a 14 or 16 inch bar, pm me if you are interested I have a brand new, not refurbished one for sale. Very light weight, good power, tool less chain adjusted, I think they are a great all around light weight saw. They hold up to some serious abuse as well.

redfin

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Not sure a top handle is a good idea. They are a little more hazardous; but, a 201 rear handle by Brad is an excellent idea if money is not an issue.

My son (age 9) has an Oregon Earthquake by default. He won it at a Charity Cut in September. Nice little starter saw.

I considered that when I wrote it, but then thought back to when I first learned to run a saw. I was 11-12 and all my pops had was a big old homelite that I swear weighed 800 lbs.

I have taught my kids with my 026.

Hinerman

Hinerman

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I considered that when I wrote it, but then thought back to when I first learned to run a saw. I was 11-12 and all my pops had was a big old homelite that I swear weighed 800 lbs.

I have taught my kids with my 026.

I understand. I don't climb but I have a top handle I use once in awhile. I haven't had any injuries or close calls with one. My statement about them being hazardous is only based on what I have read on here. FWIW, I would rather teach my son with a top handle than one of those big Homelites :) Have a good one.....

mesupra

mesupra

Mainer
Might be a bad idea to budget in chainsaw course too. I cut for a number of years before being required to take a course and hold a certification, I was a little skeptical but learned a lot.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.

You say he won it at a Charity Cut? Interesting, very interesting.

Good for him. :clap:

B440

ArboristSite Operative
Something with a short bar, chain brake, and low kickback chain. If he can pick it up and start it, you have a winner.

I recommend the Earthquake 3814. Great starter, and throw away later if you upgrade.

himiler

himiler

If I wake up . . . it's a good day.
My vote is for a Husqvarna because it's well built and simple to maintain/repair. I can get Husqy parts just about anywhere and the saw is logically put together. The saw I reach for is the lightest and smallest that will still do the job which means it's either the T435 or the 346XP.
Your son will learn technique a lot better if he isn't having to fight with the weight of the saw and he needs to be the one maintaining the saw. Quality Pro saws will last a lifetime and can be handed down to your grandson with the use you're planning.
Good on ya Dad for spending time with your son!

Latest posts