saw hasn't been run in a long time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flame fighter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I may have found a husky 372 I can get a good deal on. the saw belongs to a gentlman who 2 weeks after buying it was in an accident and can no longer handle the weight due to his injuries. the saw has never had the bar on it as I am told. He has also never run the saw. The saw was purchased just over 3 years ago. Would sitting not cycling for this period of time be a problem. I have always been of the understanding that it is not good for a motor to be left sitting and not run for extended periods.

A new saw at a used saw price is never a bad thing.
I think a saw that has sit for a while with mix can be hard to start. All of I see, the gas evaps away leaving a 5:1 mix. Usually dump the old stuff, and fill the tank with straight gas, and after tying off the starter handle, let it sit overnight, drain, refill with fresh mix, and crank her up.
-Ralph

So one of the guys doesn't pick it up and try to start it with no mix in it.
If its tied to the handle, pulled all the way out, they know don't mess with it. You may not have the same concern.
-Ralph

You may have corrosion buildup inside the cylinder, especially if the saw was in a humid climate. Very few people recognize corrosion from sitting as the problem it really is, Im sure 95% of the people you talk to will tell you some anecedote about some equipment that started fine after years of sitting up. Usually if there is a rust buildup the rings will absorb most of the damage at first, only to manifest itself after a few hours of use. Take off the muffler and give the cylinder a good look before buying. If its rusted you could just rehone and have a good as new saw. It wont necessarily be encrusted with rust either a little red surface rust on a cylinder wall is murder.

Modern saws are all Nikasil bores or some similar hard plated aluminum alloy so corrosion on the bore won't be a problem unless it actually got wet as in left in the pouring rain or fell in a lake. The rings will be plated steel faces, though and the back top and bottom of the rings could corrode if they got wet or were left without any lube. But the story is that the saw never ran, right? So barring some really bad storage conditions, it is still in new condition. It still has the factory lube in it, which is designed to keep the saw preserved until sale, however long that takes, within reason. There are several dealers on this forum. Has any of them ever seen a NEW saw go bad waiting a couple of years on a shelf ?

Jimbo

I am sure dealers sometimes end up with saws in stock they did not sell for a couple of years, I would not think this is a problem unless left in an extremely damp area.

bvaught said:
You may have corrosion buildup inside the cylinder, especially if the saw was in a humid climate. Very few people recognize corrosion from sitting as the problem it really is, Im sure 95% of the people you talk to will tell you some anecedote about some equipment that started fine after years of sitting up. Usually if there is a rust buildup the rings will absorb most of the damage at first, only to manifest itself after a few hours of use. Take off the muffler and give the cylinder a good look before buying. If its rusted you could just rehone and have a good as new saw. It wont necessarily be encrusted with rust either a little red surface rust on a cylinder wall is murder.

you can hone all day on that nikasil- don't think it will do much good though.

FF, what is the asking price?

A new, but 'idle for quite some time' 372 for a low price is something most folks only dream about.

Chris J.

Back