Saw noise and muffler mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've done some muffler mods before to get some extra power, but never considered the noise because of the location (farm) and the fact that you don't notice it much with good hearing protection.
Received the noise from the non-user end today. A local tree service was removing some cedars a few doors down, and one of the saws obviously had a muffler mod, maybe even completely gutted by the crackle it had at idle. In fact it took me a while to realize a second saw was being used, you could hardly hear it over the modded one's idle!

Think twice before you use a modded muffler in the city or close to your neighbors, especially if you run a service. "I didn't even know they were there" is probably one of the best endorsements your business can have.

I ran my ported 590 noodling some rounds between two houses in a new development the other week. Won't be doing that again out of respect for anyone nearby even with plugs in the sound was pretty loud bouncing off the houses.

I mm my ryobi 37cc and its not much louder but I put a whole different muffler on my 40cc and it is much louder so i will never use it in town again. I've noticed a few neighbors by our cabin have saws with modded mufflers. A few still have homelite super xls too so they are naturally loud.

Several hundred acres of farm on one side, huge 24hr gravel pit on another, and a main road and main highway on the other two. No issues with noise. It's "very nice" (in Borat voice)

I make it a habit not to run muffler modded saws in town unless it's in the afternoon and only as little as necessary. Some folks don't appreciate mountain music.

Same here, I have 2 chainsaws out of 45 that are not muffler modded, kept the new Stihl 362 and a John Deere/Efco 56 stock just for around the houses and neighborhood. The rest of the heard are used far away from residential areas.

Yep, part of the reason I'm feeling more inclined to hack into Chinese mufflers so a quick swap and re-tune is all that's required if I want to work with less noise.

The saw will be loud regardless to the average person. A well done MM is worth the extra noise. Just run it between 9 and 6 in residential areas if you can help it.

Kinda funny city people complain about noise. One night in a city hotel I I can't sleep trains cars horns gunshots fighting.

Get me back to my hayfeilds and quite. I so here the. Cows moo every ounce in awhile.

People ***** to ***** if it's not about a saw they find something else to ***** about.

Especially city people

40 years as a machinist in a mill and never saw hearing protection until the early 1990's and a modded muffler is no big deal. Virgin ears might be offended.

The saw will be loud regardless to the average person. A well done MM is worth the extra noise. Just run it between 9 and 6 in residential areas if you can help it.

Normal hours are 0700 to 2200 here. 2300 on Friday and Saturday. IE... they won't even bother with a complaint if it's in those hours.

Not uncommon for people to be mowing at midnight, it's still light out.

My neighborhood is about 14 houses in a big circle. I've been here the longest, so tough **** to anyone else.

A few years ago my neighbor bi5ch3d that I was mowing my lawn on Sunday afternoon, it was his "BBQ time" and he couldn't relax.
The muffler "fell off" my tractor the next Sunday.

I can't see my neighbors from my house, I'm surrounded by woods. I herd atvs riding in the woods last night at 1030 and often you hear the guy down the road doing burnouts in his straight piped diesel. They do a lot of mudding in fields around here at whatever time. I hear the cows down the road moo whenever they feel like it lol. Chainsaws are not a concern. Everyone out here burns wood.

How would the average person know whether a chainsaw had a MM? It's not like a straight piped Harley.

My 525LS with a super aggressive muffler mod is so loud I have to wear ear plugs under the ear muffs. I am seriously considering replacing the muffler so I can have it modded but not so loud.

Latest posts

Back