saw not cutting straight...Why???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digiacomor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a small echo saw. The saw wants to cut on an angle. If you force it to go straight it cuts much slower and requires constant force to correct it. The chain is sharp and the bar is in very good shape. What causes this condition and how can I fix it?

bar is warped or you didn't sharpen in correctly, ir the chain is the wrong guage for the bar. Thats about all it can be. Most people sharpen a little different on one side than they do the other anyway, some worse than others.

Good tips already.

The first thing I try to fix this is put the saw in a good bench vise and file all cutters using a file guide with even strokes, the same amount of pressure, and the same angle. Use a few more strokes than usual to ensure you are filing off enough material to "straighten" the cut.

Test. Result?

Last edited:
If you think your chain is okay, than try taking the bar off put it back on upside down and give it a try.

I figured that it had to do with the chain sharpening. I just used a file.
The saw pulls to the left when you are standing behind the saw. So which side needs to be filed down left or right? Or should I take down both sides. I don't have a file guide can you set a depth of cut with one. Thanks for all the tips this far. Bob

Last edited:
For the cost of a new chain, pick one up and see if it takes care of the problem...If it does not dress the bar and try the new chain again...

I figured that it had to do with the chain sharpening. I just used a file.
The saw pulls to the left when you are standing behind the saw. So which side needs to be filed down left or right?

Knew that was coming...And the answer is ???:confused: ??? The side it is cutting to...I can never remember...

Last edited:
Use a caliper and take samplings of R hand cutter length vs L hand cutter length. Are they close to identical or is one side a little longer than the other side? I like the post about the new chain for comparison. Or, if you find yourself coming down with a bad case of CAD, keep the chain and replace the saw.

If your pulling left, then most likely its that your left cutters are sharper then the right or the rakers could be uneven favoring the left as well. I think chain is far more likely the issue then bar. If the bar isn't true then have a blast with the filing device of your choice to dress it.

As a few have stated buy another chain, a spare is great to have. A spare or replacement bar isn't a bad investment either.

hey digicomer, in my experience the initial problem is the chain not sharpened the same on right and left side. but when the saw starts cutting half moons then the problem is what the chain did to the bar. take your bar off, chain off the bar then look down the bar groove, if one of the rails is higher then the other (if it is you'll know) then your bar rails need to be filed down. one way to slow this from happening on a good bar is to flip it over everytime you sharpen the chain, or fill the tank or when ever to give each side equal time getting worn. this works best since you can never get both sides of the chain exactly even. and yes your bar is designed to be flipped over and run upside down. best of luck.

snowdog

If you are pulling to the left, then your left cutters are cutting more than the right. This could be because the lefts are sharper, or the rights are shorter (different lengths), the lefts have a greater angle, the depth guages on the lefts are lower.

I have this problem occasionally on my stump saw, when I rock it badly. It can take 3-4 filings to get it straightened out again.

My suggestion is to look at the teeth and see if they are about the same size and angle (use the index line as a guage) and then file the lefts (right hand) about 5 strokes and test it. If it starts to improve, then try 10 strokes on the left and 5 on the right.

When I file, I use two hands on the rights (left hand filing) and only one hand on the lefts (right - dominant hand). Also I file the rights first, so I'm slightly tired and cramped when I do the lefts and don't file as deeply. Also if you need to use glasses to read, use them to file.

If you think your chain is okay, than try taking the bar off put it back on upside down and give it a try.

+1, That's the quickest way to diagnose your problem. Just flip the bar. Try again. If problem persists, it's probably your chain. If it goes away, it's your bar. Do you rotate the bar every so often?

Summary:

Measure the length of your cutters, they should all be as near as possible the same length. File to the same length, don't forget to lower the depth gauges in proportion.

Check the condition of the bar, if you see one rail higher than the other and/or one rail thinner than the other, either file the bar till the rails are the same height OR get a new one if both the height and thickness are off.

Putting a new chain on a worn bar with uneven rails will not solve the problem, the chain will not ride correctly and the saw will still cut crooked.

I have a small echo saw. The saw wants to cut on an angle. If you force it to go straight it cuts much slower and requires constant force to correct it. The chain is sharp and the bar is in very good shape. What causes this condition and how can I fix it?

Lots of threads about this issue - use the search function.....

The most common reason is an unevenly sharpened chain - and if it stays that way for some time, it will mess up other parts as well......

Last edited:
Back