Saw purchase advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high life man

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of complimenting/backing up my 044 with another mid to large saw. A guy I work with has a Husky 394. I like the power, but it seems a little heavy. I'm kind of a Stihl fan anyway.

I was thinking of either an 036 pro or an 066. Anyone have experience/ advice either way? Prices new? My 50 guage, 3/8 pitch Stihl bars will fit either, won't they?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 046m. It has a little more power than 044 and not much more weight. I also have a 066 that I use for milling. both nice saws. Payed about 770.00 for 046 and 889.00 for 066.

I have a 046M also an love its versatility and would recommend it to anyone considering a mid to large saw. I wanted a 066M but couldn’t justify it. So I would say a 066 or 046 to you High Life. If you were to be looking at a Husky (parish the thought) I would say a 372XP or 385XP is what you would be looking for both are excellent saws and would serve you well, if you like that sick looking orange color.

Confused

If you get an 046 than you won't need an 066 or 044. The 046 has nearly the power of an 066 with not much more weight than a 044. If I could only keep 2 saws I'd keep my 026 and 046. I think those make the best "Stihl couple"!! With those pair you can do it all.

If you have an 044 an 036 would be a waste. If you want a lighter saw with good power get an 026. If you want more power than the 066 would be the ticket. For an all around saw 046 is the best saw Stihl makes. But the 385XP will smoke it (sorry confused had to get that in there)

Its ok HUSKYMAN,

In the end we both like the same thing a chainsaw. We will probably never agree on which is the best.

confused

high life man,
For the money,a 372 is hard to beat.I got a powerhead from madsens and had that power tuned.Also got a ported muffler from Ken Dunn a week ago and am very pleased with the boost that gave the saw.I have around $660.00 in a 14lbs. saw that will out cut a 066 and save me about $200.I have an o46,066 and an 088 also.My o66 is on the way out after 8 years of hard use with VERY few break downs.If you want a Stihl get the 066 for general use,but don't look past a 372 or 385.:D Dan

i agree with tree guy completely - 372xp gives you the most saw for your money. walkerized will beat an 066 in cutting speed and im having mine "greffarized" and he tells me it will beat a walkerized. will tell you sometime soon....even stock it kicks butt.

Of course a walkerized 372 is going to beat an 066 its not a fair fight. The proper ? is will the walkerized 372 beat a walkerized 066? If your going to do it to one then be fair about it and do it to the other. But tundraotto is right it would be the cheaper route. However, what would your mother think if you did that, buying a husky shame on you.

confused

I think that it`s pretty significant that a guy who has both an 066, and a tuned 372 would say the 372 cuts quicker. When you consider that the 066 is considered a "hotrunner" in stock form, and then consider that the 372 weighs less, costs less, and has less displacement, that`s noteworthy. I don`t know what you guys think, but I think that you feel those couple extra pounds at the end of the day, and I also feel safer working a longer day with a lighter saw. That`s why I just put the order in for the Walkerized 346. 10.4# + 5hp, plenty of power to pull a 28" bar, for about $600 US. I`d guess that it will use less fuel in a day also, meaning less to carry. Sounds like a winner to me. Russ

Well just my .02 worth

My last saw was a 066 and I ran the poop out of it with a 36" and a 28" bar and a punched out muffler. Used it for deck cutting firewood. Nabbed over 300 cord in nine months, bought it used -- good saw!!! :D My main saw now is a Jonsey 2065 comming up fast on 400 cord, about 360 cord now and it has cut 24 cord ,fri. - mon. We had a weekend sale.

The 2065 is just a tad smaller then 372, but 200 or more in price difference!!! My wallet noticeds the 200 difference more then I notice the .4ths horsepower.

The 65 will out cut the 66 because the operator can hang on to it longer :D Stihls are boat anchors, my .066 used to play 3 choreses of anchors away. :D

Mower of Woodville

Wow!

I guess I'm not surprised at the wealth of input, given the question.

I love my 044, and it teams up well with my 020 (amazing saw), which I use for climbing, limbing, and around the chipper.

I've never done anything to soup up any of my saws, although I have a couple of old ones (Jons 520 and Stihl 015L) that both have bad mufflers. I don't fix them because I like the way they sound. Walkerizing and such I'm skeptical of, perhaps because I'm unfamiliar with it.

I've nothing against Husky. Thing is, my favorite dealer, whom I and my father have dealt with for years, sell Stihl, Jons, and Husky. But Stihl is their main line, so they naturally stock more parts for those saws. Also, the saws I use the most are all Stihls. Interchangability of bar/chain combinations as well as many parts has saved my day more than once, and kept more $ in my pocket.

The verdict? 066. At refund time, of course. Maybe I'll look into walkerizing that saw when I learn about what's involved. My 044 is light enough for general use, and I'm accustomed to it. But there are frequent occaisions that call for something more.

Thanks Gentlemen.

Well Ken Dunn and Gypo Logger, I hope you two are happy. I mean, look at these guys! Saws being shipped all over the place. One's going to Dennis to get warmed over, another going to Walkers and another mufflers from Ken Dunn. Two months ago these guys were perfectly happy with their very nice saws, and now they are power hungry and looking for any excuse to hop these things up:p
You have brought a disease here and it is extremely contagious, its called "power struggle"
Thanks guys

p.s. I am getting my mufflers in from Walkers this week so I have contracted the disease also
Keep up the good work

High Life Man,

Congrats !!! You wont be disappointed. But you raised a very good point that we didn’t mention and should have. Who is your dealer is and which brands do they service/support the most? Because any of the major brands of saws are all quality equipment, Stihl is the best of course, but the people that stand behind the counter are the ones that keep customers coming back. Again congrats on your big toy purchase and let us know what you think when you get it.

As far as walkerizing is concerned I would read up about it ask a few questions of the knowledgeable people here. There is a real wealth of personal experience and wisdom here.

Confused

modified 372 vs stock 066

Hello everyone'
Well i've got to jump in and lend my to two cents to this discussion, I,ve built many 371-372's and many 066 stihls. we've tested both saw against one another. if you cut with the same chain in the same log the 066 will out cut the 372 every time. the 066 is 1.3 cubic inches bigger in displacement and it comes from the factory with all the mods we do to the 372 to make it run faster. it already has more intake, transfer, and exhaust porting from the factory. it has a lightened piston and wristpin. the older 066magnum muffler has a ported muffler. it has a smaller combustion chamber and tighter squish numbers. the ignition timing has been advanced a extra 8 degrees. basically stihl has done all the mods we do at the factory thats why the 372 wont outcut a good running 066. dennis greffard's 372 and my 372 will get close but its going to take a modified 385 husky to beat a stock 066
Well Huskyman this ought to stir up the pot, I think you must be getting involved in the power struggle . when you get your ported muffler installed and run your saw you'll probably want to get it ported. just send it out to me and we'll get it running properly
ken kdhotsaw

Hey confused,how about an 088?I'll make you a deal on a one year old 088.my 372 does cut better than my 066, but my o66 is 8 years old and pretty much used up.Anyway,confused sometime you head south to Indiana let me know an I'll let you try an 088.How far are you from Gratten race track?I come up there and race motorcycles every once in awhile.:D Dan

The Tree Guy

Gratten. I have a friend that races bikes there and I try and make it there every time he races to keep track of his stats and the bikes overall performance. I’m sort of a statistics freak. I might have to take you up on trying or even just getting a hold of it once. Then only problem is that I have to get finished with my engineering degree before I can go out and satisfy my chainsaw hunger. So I would love to see/hold/let her rip I don’t see how I could buy it from you for a fair price. The only thing I might do with the chainsaw I have (046M) is possibly sending it to Walkers to have them go through it. I have to be patient and resist the impulse to buy a new saw till I graduate. Maybe for a grad present I get a new 066 or 026 to complement my 046. Though a 088 would be nice to just have around as a showpiece and to just obliterate any piece of wood that gets in my way at times.

Sorry but thanks anyways.
Confused

I will however have to meet you there sometime just to get to know a fellow ArboristSite member.

IF I get up there to race this summer I'll bring the 088 along.good luck with your school,my oldest son will graduate this year from college and I know it can be rough.:D Dan

for the money in midsize saws the 372 is unbeatable value. for $550 you cant buy more saw. the powertuning opportunities are plentiful also for this saw as it apparantly seems to be the best saw candidate anywhere for hopping up. the 395 husky is around $870 and has tons of power. the 385 is very powerful but weighs in at 15.4# for about $690. stihl has good saws too but they are for rich people and they dont cut as fast.

PS. kd, how come your 372's dont outcut a stock 066 if you get 40-45% power increase? that would make 7.56hp-7.83hp while the 066 has 7hp. I know that its not all horsepower, but also all the huskies i have seen cutting with their stihl counterparts (they are never equivalents - lol) have outcut them. why not in this case since the power advantage is on the 372? narrower powerband?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back