Saw rebuilding tips....renewing bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Saw rebuilding tips....renewing bearings :hmm3grin2orange:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U3W3KqB3cJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That music sucked...they had better be glad no one was laying on the floor working...

I wasn't thinking about the background noise. :dizzy:

I know there has been a bit of talk about how to put bearings in.....I thought there might be some interest.......

I used to work in the mines, and this is the way we fit and removed all bearings/bosses/bushes. Most gas supply shops sell liquid nitrogen, and many will lend you a decanter. It's relatively cheap, and not classed as a dangerous good. It has some fun uses besides shrinking things, and is a lot less dangerous than you might think. Do wear gloves though.

The surprising part is that it works both on external and internal bearings/bushes. A lot of people have trouble understanding that, but bearings will shrink in all directions. We used to pour it into a galvanised dustbin and leave the bearings in there a couple minutes. You don't have much time to get them in once they are out of the liquid nitrogen.

Also great for freezing water pipes so you can do work on the mains side (generally when replacing a broken mains tap).

Shaun

I just put the crank in the freezer for a few hours (the wife doesn't know), then just before I want to slip on the main bearings, I pop the bearings into a warm oven (again, wife doesn't know).

The bearings slip on without any force.

Hopefully, the wife will never catch on.

EDIT: just for clarity - for cases, the bearings go in the freezer and the cases in the oven.

Last edited:
Back